• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing Out the Baby with the Bath Water

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwing Out the Baby with the Bath Water

The worlds elite built the Svalbard Seed Vault on some remote island in a secret location in order to protect the global diversity of plant species on this planet in case of catastrophy. Thats the official story but I highly doubt they built it with our benefit in mind.

Who protects the seeds of the old heirloom cultivars that go extinct into someones loaf of bread? How many old varieties that may have posessed unique valueable traits such as fusarium resistance have already gone extinct? Before we are lead down the path of no return maybe we as farmers need our own farmer owned seed vault?
    Last edited by biglentil; Feb 20, 2017, 21:45.

......PBR

.....UPOV91

Profit is the motivator not preservation.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
      The worlds elite built the Svalbard Seed Vault on some remote island in a secret location in order to protect the global diversity of plant species on this planet in case of catastrophy. Thats the official story but I highly doubt they built it with our benefit in mind.
      I think your scepticism may be misplaced in this case. They seem to be sound organisations with sound motives behind this project.

Comment

Just imagine if some farmers had kept a few bushels of that shitty cheaper canola seed from the 90s....that should be off patent.....
        Last edited by bucket; Feb 21, 2017, 08:36.

Comment

I guess organic guys might have some old seed stock - as in non gmo Canola. I agree Big lentil. farmers could get a leg up by finding a safe, concrete pit to put away barrels of different seed stock. Deregulation and UPOV pfft. Otherwise we may all be herded toward one "bright" light wink-wink.

Comment

239 varieties have had their registration cancelled
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Canola varieties with cancelled registration.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	765420

Comment

Farming101

Cancelled by people that are supposed to be looking after our interests....but instead listening to the seed companies.....to extend the patent........

The law should be written that if it's being deregistered or coming off patent ....seed should have open rights.....

Comment

239 varieties have had their registration cancelled. Reposted.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Canola varieties with cancelled registration.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	765421

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Farming101

Cancelled by people that are supposed to be looking after our interests....but instead listening to the seed companies.....to extend the patent........

The law should be written that if it's being deregistered or coming off patent ....seed should have open rights.....
                  Correctomundo!

Comment

Wow some of those names bring back ole memories of the early 90 to mid 90's .

Comment

There must be too much research money available today.

Comment

And they only cost 1.99 a pound treated ....

Just imagine farmers could seed canola for 10 bucks an acre and get 10 bucks a bushel .....now it costs 70 bucks am acre and still getting 10 bucks a bushel.

Comment

Agree on the seedbank, but what is the real purpose, except in a very end of the world scenario?

As for canola...go get some non-GMO canola and grow it if you want. It's out there if you want it. The reality is that everyone is fighting to get the latest and greatest varieties...yes it is being marketed down our throats at a crazy price but my mother always said the price of something is always what someone is willing to pay.

Comment

My point being is some RR or invigor canola should be off patent and be allowed to be grown or is that not fair?

Farmers sent money thru checkoffs to develop these varieties.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
                              Agree on the seedbank, but what is the real purpose, except in a very end of the world scenario?

As for canola...go get some non-GMO canola and grow it if you want. It's out there if you want it. The reality is that everyone is fighting to get the latest and greatest varieties...yes it is being marketed down our throats at a crazy price but my mother always said the price of something is always what someone is willing to pay.
                              Its not about in an end of world senario in that case we will be eating weed seeds. Its about losing beneficial traits of old cultivars. Was told a story by a grain buyer that he bought durum from a guy with 0 Fusarium Zilch Natta in an area filled with fuzz. The farmer told him its an old variety that he has been growing for 30 years didnt even spray fungicide. All of it went through the grates. That got me thinking....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...