• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum Saga

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum Saga

[url=https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/perspectives/blogs/market-matters-blog/blog-post/2017/02/13/hard-amber-durum-noodle-wheat-faces-2]click here[/url]

Farmers definitely have a love/hate relationship with durum. I remember 2009 durum when there was so much it was below feed wheat price so a lot of it was carried into the 2010 crop. Poor quality in 2010 got the decent carry over durum to move. Then there was three years where durum was great. Trouble with this is a switch to HRS wheat where the market already well supplied.

Comment

"Humans are not normally affected by vomitoxin, unless infected grain is ingested in very high quantities."

And here is my argument as to who eats only grain products for every meal of the day everyday?

Comment

Repeatedly growing durum is like repeatedly stepping on the pointy end of a rake. Gotta be a sucker for punishment. The $3 bids from Viterra must be working one wacks me in the face at least once week.

Comment

Biglentil....its "all" garbage you know! That's what we're told all the way from the farmgate to the processor. Notice I left out the consumer!

I wonder which part of the story is the bigger pile of garbage!

Comment

Now now my wiseguy friend. I wouldn't go as far to say my durum is a one. I'm a realist and hopefully not delusional!

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
              It's not even the companies so much as the clowns working at them ! Some of these clowns don't even know how to buy grain !

# useless !
              You talking Buyers or Graders? Big difference, different office. Buyer can pay you what ever you agree for what ever grade. They can pay you $4 for #1 or $4 for CWF.

Graders have to know how to grade for binning and forwarding quality to end user. Graders are responsible to make sure that customers/public get safe, healthy product. Thy have nothing to do with pricing.

Comment

Maybe I drank too much kool-aid already?

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                  Wm ! Exactly ! " They can pay for $ 4.00 for # 1 or $ 4.00 for feed " You just said yourself grain grading is irrelevant !
                  Grain grading is maybe irrelevant in pricing but Knowing grain quality and proper assessment is very very important in marketing.

We are talking food products and some of the grading factors (damaged kernals) can make people and livestock very sick if not controlled and assessed properly to regulate consumption. Every country in the world assesses quality. Most just factor in price differently.

Comment

If a farmer takes uniform representative samples from the bin at harvest, he can take them to the Canadian Grain Commission and/or SGS for official grade and dockage. Then the farmer knows the grade of his grain he has on inventory. Papers stay in the truck while offering out his grain inventory and negotiating with buyers.

I am surprised at how many farms do not pay for official grade documents for their inventory and prefer to play grade/dockage bullshit poker with buyers.

Comment

Check out www.palliserprocessors.ca

Should be operational by mid may.....

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                        If a farmer takes uniform representative samples from the bin at harvest, he can take them to the Canadian Grain Commission and/or SGS for official grade and dockage. Then the farmer knows the grade of his grain he has on inventory. Papers stay in the truck while offering out his grain inventory and negotiating with buyers.

I am surprised at how many farms do not pay for official grade documents for their inventory and prefer to play grade/dockage bullshit poker with buyers.
                        CGC and SGS are totally useless in a visual based grading system. Here's what surprises me. Why don't producers have vom testing, protein testing, falling numbers testing on their own property?? Why don't producers have significant grading training?? I've had dozens of producers in our facility with durum samples and wouldn't know a fuzz kernel from a peanut. This simply blows my mind

Comment

Originally posted by JDGreen View Post
                          CGC and SGS are totally useless in a visual based grading system. Here's what surprises me. Why don't producers have vom testing, protein testing, falling numbers testing on their own property?? Why don't producers have significant grading training?? I've had dozens of producers in our facility with durum samples and wouldn't know a fuzz kernel from a peanut. This simply blows my mind

No doubt there is some ugly durum out there but even the nice stuff gets thrown under the bus. Why because they buy it for chicken scratch and sell it as milling. Blaming the farmer because they haven't tested enough is no fricken solution. Ive had 5+ different grades out of the same sample pail including Sgs, intertek, and three line co's its all over the map from #1 to #5. What do I have?
                          Last edited by biglentil; Feb 15, 2017, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                            No doubt there is some ugly durum out there but even the nice stuff gets thrown under the bus. Why because they buy it for chicken scratch and sell it as milling. Blaming the farmer because they haven't tested enough is no fricken solution. Ive had 5+ different grades out of the same sample pail including Sgs, intertek, and three line co's its all over the map from #1 to #5. What do I have?
                            You have what I had before processing.. Incredibly frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              I've beat that drum to death! There is no universal standardized accredited training in the whole industry. All elev staff and third party inspectors should have to take and pass an apprenticeship type course. And rewrite a yearly exam.

If you disagree with the elev on grade or dockage you can send to CGC along with $50 to get a binding grade/dockage but the CGC doesn't follow up to see why they graded or dockage was wrong. Do they need more/some training, do they not understand proper grading or were they trying to rip you off. If later it is against the law, can be penalized and written right in the Gain Act.

We need Grain Farmers Advocacy Office so we have an avenue to get to the bottom of all the needs of grain industry. We used to have Office of Assistant Commissioners but last gov't never filled chairs, lets hope this gov't sees how important they were and does something about it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...