• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graminearum % on germ tests

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graminearum % on germ tests

Our wheat sample came back at 12% graminearum . Should we worry about this ? Fusarium on stuff we sold was .2-.4 %

Treat it and plant we had worse than that few years back almost double

Comment

I talked to a seed grower this morning that had some at 9% and he said he wouldn't sell it for seed but would treat it and seed it himself. Clean heavy, seed heavy and treat.

Comment

We have rigorously used low and no Fuz. G seed, this year most was 0 highest .5 % on both seed barley and wheat.

Find the lowest, it not very low and treat it.

Comment

Talk to your desired rep about sending in a fungal scan test but having them treat the seed first. Should give you an idea of if the seed treatment is worth it or not. Your results should also be giving you germination and seed vigour results. Those are also important and shouldn't be neglected. If they are low enough might be worth it giving the nearest seed farm a call.

Comment

Buy cert. Seed..sell your high fuzz.stuff..
            That is what we did ..

Comment

If your in an area with fusarium, the big money for cert seed is probably useless. Test it treated, if good, then use it. If you've ever looked at what comes out the back of your combine at harvest you will quickly realize that paying big money for seed (for 0% graminarium purposes) is a waste of money. You've already spread it across the farm. Most of what I find out the back is broken up pieces of chalky fus kernels.

Comment

What are the standards for cert seed? I wonder how seed growers can grow Fuzz-free and I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  What are the standards for cert seed? I wonder how seed growers can grow Fuzz-free and I can't.
                  Why doesn't every farmer take 10-20 acres (as needed) and get them certified and become seed growers for their own needs? Most seed growers also grow commercial crops.

Comment

Good idea Woembis.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                      I didn't grow fuzz free durum.. Registered and certified lots this year were all over the map with graminareum and lower germs. What I can do is process it to an incredibly high standard. This takes extensive capital investment and effort. For example initial seed tests on a particular lot of certified durum. 76% germ, 69 vigor, 10% graminareum. Final post processing results 93% germ 88% vigor, 4% graminareum.. This result is obtained in a 9 step cleaning process using some of the highest state of the art equipment. Without the entire process our numbers and quality drop off quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                        Why doesn't every farmer take 10-20 acres (as needed) and get them certified and become seed growers for their own needs? Most seed growers also grow commercial crops.
                        If you think certified seed is expensive, you really should go through the entire process of becoming a seed grower and building an entire seed plant. Bulk storage facility licensing, quality assurance manuals, conditioning facility licensing, inspection fees, accredited seed grading courses etc etc etc etc. It looks easy i know LOL..

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post

Any farmer can become a seed grower. You do not have to be born a seed grower

One winter I was thinking I would like to become a seed grower

I went and talked to a few farmers who were seed growers

I got some info from them and I did some research online and that next spring I was a seed grower. For the first few years we did not have a cleaning plant so we got it custom cleaned at another seed growers seed plant.

Like JDgreen said it is lots of extra work and lots of extra costs. If you do the extra work and pay the extra costs you can become a seed grower.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...