• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are prairie farmers Really Sequestering more Carbon than they Emit ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are prairie farmers Really Sequestering more Carbon than they Emit ??

We think so but if we Fertilize, which we have all done since the 1960's, then we are emitting More greenhouse gases than we think.

Studies show even shallow banding releases nitrous oxide as much as broadcast fert. Nitrous Oxide is many times worse than co2 as a greenhouse gas. ( shallow banding is 2 inches or less)

Agrotain costs but Maybe we will be forced to use it , so We are actually Carbon Sequesters

Nitrogen makes up 78 percent of the air we breath and oxygen the other 20 percent.

And yes Canada as a whole sequests more than it emits...farmers should be getting their fair share of their contributions to making the earth a better place.....

Now would you like to talk about the disappearance of the earth's lungs like the Brazilian rain forest? And the effect of that on the earth's problems in the last 30 years?

Suzuki doesn't bully countries like that because he would disappear for good.
    Last edited by bucket; Feb 9, 2017, 08:22.

Comment

Tell us how you put your nitrogen down mustard, your practices might be different than most.

I am not aware of anyone who would want to shallow band NH3.

Comment

Very little if any Nh3 in southern sask or Alberta.

Majority like me, are One pass zero till with side band dry fert.
        But there has been a huge Increase in Old Application with a new name. Broadcasting is now Floating

Did get paid for a few years for carbon credits but companies or market ( or both ) Disappeared
        Last edited by mustardman; Feb 9, 2017, 08:40.

Comment

Mustard you have to stop reading lefty green bullshit studies

Comment

FEB 9, 2017 | 08:57 5
            Mustard you have to stop reading lefty green bullshit studies Reply With Quote

I guess if Reading Scientific Research is "lefty" then I am guilty. I spend most of my winter researching agronomic issues related to my farm.But that's just me and you ? Are you busy catching all the "news" on the "rebel" ?

Comment

My bad I forgot all scientific research was 100% true. Not reading rebel just sitting on the beach today because I read somewhere flying in a plane will knock co2 gases in outer space lol

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

And yes Canada as a whole sequests more than it emits...farmers should be getting their fair share of their contributions to making the earth a better place.....
                Citation please.

Comment

Really mustard take a vacation and join with trump this climate bull shit is just that Bull Shit.

Comment

The climate is just fine. Would be nice if politics in Canuskistan for one second focused on real issues. I for one am glad that this winter did not feature bone jarring -45 cold. We had -35 and that was enough cold for me. Did get -45 wind chill but not air temp. Big issue not talked about is: how we are going to survive financially as a country paying generous pensions to all the government and quasi government employees? (Looking at you Canada Post). Anyone have any answers to that question. Oh yeah that is where carbon taxes are going.

Comment

Saskfarmer I will have to agree with you that Using Trump and Bullshit in the Same sentence is appropriate

Comment

Ajl

Carbon taxes are revenue neutral .....did you not hear that.

Eventually Wall will accept the fate and take the money.....

As saskfarmer always says follow the money.

Meanwhile farmers ranchers and forests will not receive a dime for their efforts of carbon sequestering....

But we will keep paying cenovus and the maintenance costs of the clean coal system that are running 4 times what the design said.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          Ajl

Meanwhile farmers ranchers and forests will not receive a dime for their efforts of carbon sequestering....
                          So every time a pro till goes across the field you should have to pay? Get a dime, give a quarter. Careful what you ask for.

Comment

Tweety

There is some merit in that idea....but more than likely they will charge you for the protilling long before a farmer receives anything for sequestering....

There is a certain amount of logic in what you propose.....for certain farmers that grow high value crops and need to till the land to do so they could be paying the no till farmers to offset their carbon emmisions. And more than likely the consumers will pay more for vegetables without even bitching about it.

We simple farmers have no way of charging these extra costs to anyone....but some farmers do and consumers might start to understand the nonsense of a carbon tax if explained properly. ...mostly in their pocketbook....

Comment

No one has answered the OP question yet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...