• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 2008 or Something Worse Just Around The Corner?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 2008 or Something Worse Just Around The Corner?

In 2001 we had the dot com bubble pop, in 2008 we had Lehman bros and the subprime mortgage crisis. Nothing was fixed instead credit expanded and has fueled a bubble in land, housing, stocks and even equipment. Toss into the mix an aging demographic, sky high debt loads, racial tension, civil unrest, tariffs, carbon tax, monopolistic multinational corporations, a shift toward automation, flat wages and inflation. What do you get? The chinese saying "May you live in interesting times!" comes to mind.

Heres what Ron Paul had to say in a recent interview, "Paul noted that he thinks U.S. policy has created a “failed system” in the country. “All empires end and we’re the empire. It’s going to end and it’s going to be for economic reasons…we’re going to fail because we’re working within a failed system…this is a monetary problem…a spending problem…it’s going to be financial,” Paul emphatically claimed, once again stating the collapse of America is imminent. “We have something arriving worse than 2008, 2009, much worse…It was the fault of the Federal Reserve,” Paul said, adding, the Keynesian economic model contributed greatly to the first bubble burst. Paul said the left will blame Trump for it like the right did to Obama, but he says it’s bigger than the office of the president, and blames the federal reserve and the previous 17 years of governmental spending."

The corporate world is in for a major shake-up. The composition of the S and P index may be totally unrecognizable within the next 5 years.

The VIX (volatility index) has just awakened (IMO).

Comment

Could someone post the 100 year historical charts for the S&P and DOW. Kinda mirror images anyway but the volatity seen in the early part of both charts seems to playing out again.....the time inbetween saw some change as well but appears to be a much gentler ride over a longer period of time.

Re land/real estate bubble......yes yes yes! But where will the smart money go, IF THEY GET OUT? And will they be able to get out? No one wants to catch a falling knife but lots might be willing to pick it up when it lands. For ****'s sake, I still say we are going to see a correction....the economics of buying and paying for it at current prices isn't there. Unless it remains a safe place for investors to "park" money...we may not see a correction. Remember, I say correction and by that I mean a modest adjustment, let's hope it's not a collapse. I've quite enjoyed the "unrealized" increase in the value of our land. But if it's never liquidated.....did it ever really matter?

Chart people...while your at it chart the last 90-100 years of Sask land prices....sobering picture...Les Henry, contibutor to Grainews has the chart(adjusted for 2016 dollars) in his column. Yikes....don't say land prices...blah blah blah. If I would have tried to sell the land I bought in 1986, I wouldn't have got what I initially paid for the land for many years(probably nearly 20 because in 04 we paid about the same for same quality land). Depending at what stage of your farming career you buy the over inflated land asset....you may be realizing a loss if you want to or need to sell it. Can be a loooooooooooooong term investment and still not get your money out....and I think we're there again!
      Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 31, 2017, 04:29.

Comment

Maybe that's why Ontario has only had 48 hours of sunshine instead of 85 expected for this month. Ain't no sunshine due to too much smug!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
          Maybe that's why Ontario has only had 48 hours of sunshine instead of 85 expected for this month. Ain't no sunshine due to too much smug!
          Wife just said that same thing recently -very little sunshine this winter.

But she didn't mention anything about the smug part - LOL! I hate that smug attitude... ;-)

Comment

Don't understand why Less didn't buy more land?
            Why didn't he sell?

Comment

Just to be clear.....I just mentioned the chart in Les Henry's column. The rest is my banter and no quoting or paraphrasing anything he wrote. Although there could be similarities in what we each wrote...gotta read the column again.

Comment

I saw his chart.
                Wasn't sure if he was bragging, complaining, or doomsdayer.

Comment

I'm a little more worried about the eighties myself. High land. Low grain. Trade war.

Comment

Something is about to shake loose and it will be blamed on Trump . Although it's been set up by Soros , his leftist puppets and now his paid snowflake protestors for many years.
                    It's been coming a long time, too much debt combined with Bush , Obama and Hillary destabilizing the entire Middle East the past 12 years resulting in this refugee crisis - that is a fact no one can refute.
                    Socially its a nuke ready to go off .
                    Again not defending Trump, just saying this was all in place long before the last election was even started. Hillary would have just pushed it along a little further.

Comment

Call me simple as I wrap up in tinfoil.....but IMHO if the countries these young men are fleeing were worth saving ....maybe they ought to be given guns to fight for their country....

Second thought is why don't they just ban the arms makers?

Seems odd to not end a war when someone is supplying arms and ammo everyday?

Let them go back to throwing rocks...in the sand....

There will always be collateral damage but someone will have to wipe this problem out eventually otherwise don't get involved with it.

Comment

What's coming is increasing inflation, currency devaluation and job loss through automation. Nothing new just more of the same. Low interest rates forever will keep the ship afloat for decades yet

Comment

My grand parents always told me to hold onto some land at least you can eat. I never paid much attention as I have always been fed and had a somewhat comfortable life,but now as I am in the autum of my life I can see where having food to eat may become a reality. Someone mentioned charts ,well history has a way of repeating its self,but there isnt the raw land to fall back on like there was in the 30is I rember them talking about all the men that came by willing to do any chores just for a meal, could it happen again,maybe. I know a few that lived in a hole in the ground and ate bush rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                            My grand parents always told me to hold onto some land at least you can eat. I never paid much attention as I have always been fed and had a somewhat comfortable life,but now as I am in the autum of my life I can see where having food to eat may become a reality. Someone mentioned charts ,well history has a way of repeating its self,but there isnt the raw land to fall back on like there was in the 30is I rember them talking about all the men that came by willing to do any chores just for a meal, could it happen again,maybe. I know a few that lived in a hole in the ground and ate bush rabbits.
                            This is a reality that could repeat itself in the blink of an eye. We've been lulled into a false sense of security by decades of a plentiful, cheap and wildly extravagant food supply.

I remember when Dad gave us each an orange for Christmas one year when I was a kid. We looked at him strangely because oranges were plentiful and affordable back at that time, just as today.

What I didn't understand then was that when he was a kid, oranges were a once-a-year thing, a special gift that he got at Christmas. Born in 1914 and having lived through the 30's, he was just trying to share his childhood experience with us.

I was so happy to see both of our daughters-in-law plant gardens and take an active interest in canning fruit and meat, etc., something that they surely wouldn't have to do with a grocery store only 10 minutes away.

In the event of a food crisis caused by some infrastructure failure, the potential for chaos in a city like Toronto is unimaginable - 6 million living in the GTA.

The country is a good place to live. And 2 hours from Toronto seems plenty close.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                              This is a reality that could repeat itself in the blink of an eye. We've been lulled into a false sense of security by decades of a plentiful, cheap and wildly extravagant food supply.

I remember when Dad gave us each an orange for Christmas one year when I was a kid. We looked at him strangely because oranges were plentiful and affordable back at that time, just as today.

What I didn't understand then was that when he was a kid, oranges were a once-a-year thing, a special gift that he got at Christmas. Born in 1914 and having lived through the 30's, he was just trying to share his childhood experience with us.

I was so happy to see both of our daughters-in-law plant gardens and take an active interest in canning fruit and meat, etc., something that they surely wouldn't have to do with a grocery store only 10 minutes away.

In the event of a food crisis caused by some infrastructure failure, the potential for chaos in a city like Toronto is unimaginable - 6 million living in the GTA.

The country is a good place to live. And 2 hours from Toronto seems plenty close.
                              2 hours from Toronto isn't what it used to be. It starts around Port Perry now

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...