• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Acres Seen Rising On High Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acres won't change much in this area. Pretty much half wheat half canola. Aside from cow guys growing feed and some intrepid legume growers. Acres don't chase fads like they used to.

Comment

Soy acres are moving back to exploring upwards a bit again
      There was a big push 3 years ago but yields were dismal at around 20 bpa.
      Newer , earlier varieties are seeing 35 bpa . But we have had decent August rain the past 2 years as well .
      Soy will not replace canola here for a while yet. It will take wheat and some pulse acres if there is another "root rot" scare.
      Canola still yields close to 2x soybeans here .
      If we can get beans to stay above 40-45 bpa , then acres may switch .

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
        10 YEARS OF MB ACRES [ATTACH]1090[/ATTACH]

Soybeans increase in acres have not come at the expense of canola acres in 10 years
        Eventually it will. Your looking at mb as a whole. If u look at acreage shift in the s of mb youd see the trend. Not so much beans in big part of mb, that being the sw and nw areas where canola acres still strong and stealing acres from other crops. As beans march nwestward as varities become more suitale canola will tank. High oleic beans will likely speed this trend over the next 10 to 15 years.

Comment

New crop bean bids $12/bu. nitrogen cost:$0/ac. Beans outyielded canola in mb last year. With canola seed costs now approaching bean seed costs its a no brainer.

Comment

Maybe the canola Seed Cos will have a "special" "Made in Southern Manitoba" canola seed price to compete with soybeans stealing canola's acres!

Guys are growing them around here and not too long ago there was B.S. about no disease issues....well lo and behold they're suscetible to schlerotinia as well. And get something called chocolate spot and who knows whal all else. And you better like harvesting on the ground albeit probably twice as easy as downed peas and lentils!

But it would be nice to see those greedy bastards (read canola seed cos) have some competition!

Comment

Ive grown them for 16 years never once used a fungicide, and sprayed the borders of a few fields for mites or hoppers. Cant grow canola in mb without fungicides.

Comment

MBGROWER, would you say susceptible, moderately susceptible, intermediate, moderately resistant, resistant? Lol...like the Sask seed guide descriptions. Their upright more breathable canopy probably does wonders for their tolerance.

Comment

We neeed a 90-day soybean Then we'll have the tiger by the tail.

Comment

Pioneer has a new soy variety that is shorter and yields like the old longer varieties so far haven't seen limiting factor. But it was just a test bag last year this year whole fields who knows. But Canola is so over priced for seed its sickening.

Comment

Actually the whole Canola system is so costly its over rated. Manitoba is leading the way Sask will be next. Lots of extra acres in our area with new guys growing soy in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                        Actually the whole Canola system is so costly its over rated. Manitoba is leading the way Sask will be next. Lots of extra acres in our area with new guys growing soy in 2017.
                        SF3 since you hate canola so much how many acres are you increasing it on your farm for 17??
                        You complain complain and complain some more in case we all haven't heard it, but you still put in big acres.
                        We all agree costs are huge for canola but we still keep growing it. Why don't you actually act on your words and grow something different that is less costly?
                        Not trying to be an azz, but I think I heard the same story out of you about the "retarded" sister a couple years ago.

Comment

Sclerotinia so far not a big factor on bean yields unlike canola. USA farmers been growing them for 100 years, more recently on tighter rotations, and they have more heat and humidity to deal with than in mb. Root rots more of a problem, but nothing like lentils or peas. You can seed beans on wide rows to mitigate sclerotinia but most here solid seed here. Oh yah, no swather needed too!

Comment

My question BigZ is why does Canola perform compare to Soy like a Retarded sister.

Price soy almost 12 Canola just over 10 for fall

Soy seed and canola same other costs way different.

We have been growing canola/****seed since 70s and once the seed companies got their greedy hands on the crop we haven't made money like before.

Every thing the industry is betting on continued wet conditions.

What is we go back to normal, how many sad cowboys will realize what 12 BPA light shit is worth.

Just saying,

Canola was once the darling of Manitoba and north Sask. and Alberta.

They wrecked it with insane costs for seed.

Comment

Actually our Canola acres will be lower in 2017 than 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                                Actually our Canola acres will be lower in 2017 than 2016.
                                I can't grow beans, so I'm left with canola. 22 bu bean crop doesn't pay the bills for me. I can make more growing yellow peas.
                                I grow a lot of lentils, but trot rot is starting to get bad in places, and there's no way I will ever grow chickpeas again.
                                I like growing canola, but yes inputs are crazy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...