• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum....

What are others seeing for prices. 4 or 5's. #3. And the hen's teeth....1 & 2's. Price discovery....a dozen phone calls.
    Anyone try the U.S.? Anyone clean for grade improvement and get slapped in the face anyway or successful and worth the effort?

Most places aren't bidding!! Prices are in the $6.45 range for a 3, $6.30 for a 4 if some are buying.
    Market very quiet for now, hoping it starts to pick up as I have lots to sell. Those prices don't interest me.
    Be interesting to see what acres do in 17? I expect a huge drop, farmer in SW Sk is going wall to wall canola to escape from all the disease in cereals and pulses.
    Talked with a guy at crop show who is in big durum country who had basically all feed and some didn't make feed. His comment was I'm "defying the odds" and planting lots of durum.

Comment

Funny how what comes around goes around for the last few years guys said HRSW was a dead horse. Everyone jumped on the ethanol wheat and durum band wagon. Now durum and ethanal wheat are the dead horses. They buy your 4ppm Vomi durum for $3 and sell it for $7. They buy your #3 and sell it as a 1. They laugh their asses off all the way to the bank. Gives them lots more ammo to lobby and bribe CGC.
      Last edited by biglentil; Jan 17, 2017, 19:25.

Comment

Wonder how much is making it's way to feedlots and at what price? Ethanol?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          Wonder how much is making it's way to feedlots and at what price? Ethanol?
          Local ethanol plant offering $3.50 for CWAD and there are some stiff discounts for fuz but they will take up to 10% I do believe. Not very attractive either. Guys are cleaning, some are having luck some are not. Screens alone wont do it.

Theres a lot of low quality durum out there and it ain't moving. Might take till 2018 to see the price spread over HRSW make sense again.
          Last edited by biglentil; Jan 17, 2017, 19:48.

Comment

Screens then gravity. I wonder how much borderline "too high fuzz and vomi" durum is getting polished up and/or then blended UP to a two or three by inland terminals.

Thinking about getting a US grade done on ours. But the whole ****ing process is designed to wear/grind you down.

Clean durum....
            Bin in rail car lot volumes....
            Get an official grade from a very representative sample, probably a better sample than the one at unload!!!...
            Load cars and hope it unloads on spec...
            Better ****en well be well within specs....
            Specs for fuzz and vomi are ****en ridiculously low....
            Testing and subjective grading are suspect at best!!!!....
            Put up the white flag and call Ritche Bros.

Comment

wiseguy...did you edit your BTOFARMALL comment out of your reply?
              Meds wearing off? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Screens then gravity. I wonder how much borderline "too high fuzz and vomi" durum is getting polished up and/or then blended UP to a two or three by inland terminals.

Thinking about getting a US grade done on ours. But the whole ****ing process is designed to wear/grind you down.

Clean durum....
                Bin in rail car lot volumes....
                Get an official grade from a very representative sample, probably a better sample than the one at unload!!!...
                Load cars and hope it unloads on spec...
                Better ****en well be well within specs....
                Specs for fuzz and vomi are ****en ridiculously low....
                Testing and subjective grading are suspect at best!!!!....
                Put up the white flag and call Ritche Bros.
                I've done the US thing!! At the end I made out ok. Your contract may read $8, but with all the deductions you will never see your contracted price. I'm would be a little suspect of taking durum into the US this year with all the problems it had. Another point, they use the Winchester method of weighing which makes the bushel weight less than the Avery.

Comment

Lots of feed barley around here but not much moving, price isn't the best. I called a couple brokers and they told me when they talk to feedlots they tell them they aren't looking for barley because no matter the price they can get poor quality durum out of SK delivered $10 per ton cheaper than barley.

Don't know anything about durum but I assume the fus and vomi problems are a problem for cattle too? From a feed standpoint is it any difference feeding than other wheats?

Comment

My info says vomi is bad for cattle, but chickens and turkeys ok because they have a gizzard. I don't know how the gizzard makes it ok, but that's what I was told.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...