• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

food barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

food barley

So there's a pretty interesting market in the more affluent middle east areas for food barley. This is basically plump dehulled barley either whole or flattened (steam rolled) or cracked.

For basic dehulled barley worked back to central sk you end up with 11 per bushel in a container in a mini bulk bag.

Just an interesting thing that's been coming up a lot.

Our local cooperative railroad seemed disinterested in container loading. Shame?
    My peas all go out container to China but have to sell to major buyer who does it.

Comment

You have to wonder how many niche markets we are not capturing, 40 years ago when i was buying grain a old menonite hauled some grain with huge volunteer barley in it, and it was totally hulless and black on the outside, he said they grew it for flour, what it was or where it came from who knows.

Comment

Doesnt the word "niche" translate to "more work" in farming language?

And maybe it should if it leads to more money.

Comment

Klause,

What is the net screenings after you clean and dehull?

Comment

Klause were you a district agriculturst in a previous life, Seems to me you spend a lot of time dreaming, are some real probably yes but on the whole most are pipe dreams You must be one very energetic person,from rig man, to longhaul trucker to selling lentals,peas, and now bly, in containers , What is the ney on some of those deals.? I wish you luck but it kind of remindes me of my uncle who would come up with some of the damdest ideas just to see if anyone was dam fool enough to do it.

Comment

Don't do it Klause, there is no money in it.
              Why do you want to work for more money ? Silly man.
              You drive a semi, you can see how nice it is to dump grain through the grates and then go and complain on the beach.

Remember canola-canola-lentils-canola -canola-lentils. Retire a multi millionaire.

Comment

crusher,

It took 26 tonnes to make 20 tonnes of clean dehulled barley. We shipped 2 containers so far, they have arrived we have gotten payment.... We may ship some more this year but not sure yet as the buyer has prior purchases he has to work through.

Learnt an important lesson on the hulls/cleanout. DO NOT mix them. I ended up rolling them and selling it to a sheep guy north of Saskatoon, nobody would buy the feed barley with the hulls in it... Guess hulls end up as slough fill.

Retired,

most of my days are 18 hours long. Trucking in winter, spraying in summer, farming 3000 acres... I didn't have a big inheritance to play with... so every $ has to come from somewhere... It's also why I'm not on any forums much anymore... no time. LOL.

We've sold 3 containers of HRS this year, 2 of barley....

Sold lentils and peas off combine except for one container of peas... Peas actually made out better dumping in the elevator for $10.25 than cleaning, and filling a container for $12/bu (before freight to stoon, filling)

Wheat all goes international for $9 to $9.50 worked back to farm.

This barley made the most. I don't know how big a market we have though. 40 tonnes isn't a lot, and the guy who dehulled this stuff for me doesn't have a big enough unit to dehull a thousand tonnes... More meetings coming.

It's interesting talking with end users, international buyers, and even a pasta maker from Morocco... They want to know what we do, how we do it... and often times you learn a lot about their cultures, customs...

Comment

Klause, I find you very interesting, maybe because I come from a long line of dreamers, inventors, manufacturers, seed cleaners, international marketers and of course farmers. Everything pans out if you prepare properly for possible pitfalls. Wonder how you sell wheat in containers? Don't suppose you will tell on blog site.

Comment

Would hulless barley work and save you a step in the process?

Comment

Pot Barley and Pearl Barley have been around a long time. There seems to be some benefit to de-hulling in cooking time.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

We clean it, put it into a container, and ship it.... Not sure what you're asking, SDG?

It's going into a specialty Chinese market.... I don't want to name my buyer on a public forum... However if you're curious... take a few pics of a sample, get a SGS analysis done, and post it up on Alibaba.... Wait for a day or two and see who comes out of the woodwork, yes some are scammers, but there's a lot of real honest buyers on there.... Find one or two, ship them good product, and then your name starts to spread over there.

Not even surprised anymore by 2 am phone calls from people with very strong accents. LOL!!!

Comment

Keep pursuing your dreams Klaus.
                            I like doing things differently and it has worked out financially for me.
                            Remember not everything will work so try to cover your downside risk.
                            The world is pretty small now days and you can do business around the world.
                            Best wishes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...