• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying grain that won't flow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying grain that won't flow

I deleted my whiny rant from last night about wet wheat. Now to deal with the issue.

I have very wet wheat in piles, went in at 16-20% but now with some snow mixed in its well into the 20's loading into trucks and it won't flow out of a hopper trailer after a 400 km drive.

Will it bridge off in my recirculating batch drier? Or will the heat of the grain melt the snow as it circulates and starts to dry letting it continue to flow?
    I had hoped to sell it tough but it doesn't look like an option so I either have to dry it in the cold weather (another question about can I get enough propane into the drier at -15 to dry grain?) or consolidate the piles and hope it keeps till spring.

I don't have aeration available, just a batch drier. Would a continuous flow drier work better (except for the multiple passes to get it dry).

Thanks for any suggestions, especially telling me what didn't work before I have to learn it myself.

Dryers dryers going everywhere here. We dried 23% durum no problem.

Do yourself a favour and seperate as much snow as possible. Snow mixed with dry grain will cause bridging too.

I am not super experienced with dryers but likely -20 ish is a limit if you are on propane.

Good luck.

Comment

Jan 16-20 appears to be a warmer stretch, I am planning to dry tough wheat than with propane as well.

I'm not an expert with snow bridging but I've noticed this fall that excessive moisture makes grain hard to get out of a combine hopper, grain cart or even hopper bin at times.

Comment

Been years but remember mixing some dry grain into a batch, extremely slow process but it does work. Even seen wheat or barley mixed with flax/canola to get going. We still have an old coffee grinder dryer sitting in the yard, rusty burn marks on the screens, caused by extremely tough grain/snow/ice not flowing. good luck feel for you guys. sorry forgot take out 1/2 batch, fill with tough, dry, rinse repeat.
        Last edited by VK58; Jan 6, 2017, 09:49.

Comment

Set up batch by pile dry straight out of the pile ????

Comment

I realize this is not what you were asking, but I have been drying wheat, canola and barley in the bins with aeration and herman nelsons during all weather so far this winter. The only trouble I've found with the really cold weather is that the condensation is that much worse in the bin. The wheat wouldn't flow before I started, canola and barley did.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              I realize this is not what you were asking, but I have been drying wheat, canola and barley in the bins with aeration and herman nelsons during all weather so far this winter. The only trouble I've found with the really cold weather is that the condensation is that much worse in the bin. The wheat wouldn't flow before I started, canola and barley did.
              Have dried loads of 30% wheat in scotland, though not at -15.
              With a round type dryer you have to leave a quarter full of dry wheat or the central auger just stops
              Will it keep till spring?
              We used grain spears with fans to suck the heat from piles of wet grain

Comment

I have dried a big pile of wheat testing 24% with a GT circulating batch dryer on propane. The wheat was hard to auger and wouldn't flow out of the truck very good and if I remember right about four hours of heat per batch. The dryer needed a tractor to turn it so I built a small shed out of scrap 2+4 and plywood and tarps so all the tractor heat went in the dryer and that really saved on propane. The exhaust pipe went up threw a hole in the roof and the front of the shed was open so the tractor and dryer could get air. The shed and tractor were facing south and on a sunny day it would warm right up in that shed. I would shut it down if it got below -20
                Its going to be a big job so good luck with everthing

Comment

MY GT dryer has a agitator that runs around the top of the hopper part that keeps everything moving.

Comment

What size are your piles? We used dry with a batch type drier , and it took forever with over 20% moisture wheat. You need an agitator for very wet grain in a batch drier or it will cause problems. It's also more time consuming. Even an older continuous dryer like a MC (Mathews Company) will be twice as fast , depending on size, once its set up. We used to pile wet grain up to 24% moisture, but if we could not keep up drying we would auger that pile into a new pile, using a front end loader. I've seen guys that would have to spread grain piles with a grader to cool the grain off in -25 degree weather. Not fun.

Comment

pardon my ignorance/arrogance/stupidity/disbelief/empathy/sympathy..... but how could this ever pay, especially if there are quality problems? My goodness...if feel for you guys!

Comment

its not about pay, its about salvage and hoping to seed another crop. Leaving that crop rot in the field may pencil better but also might not not be seeded in the spring.

Comment

Get an old recirculation dryer and art it up next to pile. Fill with a front end loader.

Or rent a quick clean run it through there to remove any ice/ snow and it'll flow better.

Comment

I have 5000 bu in one pile and 8000 in another (drier stuff and closer to home) I have a morridge 400 bu recirculating batch drier so I'll start with 100 bu of dry grain and go in 300 bushel batches to keep stuff flowing. I guess january is shot but maybe I can get up north for febuary...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
                              I have 5000 bu in one pile and 8000 in another (drier stuff and closer to home) I have a morridge 400 bu recirculating batch drier so I'll start with 100 bu of dry grain and go in 300 bushel batches to keep stuff flowing. I guess january is shot but maybe I can get up north for febuary...
                              If you let the piles get hot, they dry really quick in the dryer, but its risky as if your dryer breaks down and you fall behind the mould will set in, but maybe not at minus 15

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...