• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perspective

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perspective

A little perspective on the carbon tax relative to overall fuel prices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gas tax.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	777433

This graph is VERY misleading for showing the effects of a carbon tax.

By 2020 Alberta will have the privilege of paying $50/tonne with fuel have GST calculated on top of this tax. (Grassy's grass uses the $20/tonne rate in 2017.)

As far as a farmers perspective goes we know our costs will increase at least $12/acre.

Comment

Guess we can stop fueling in AB before returning to Sk! Visit Mb more?

Comment

I get a kick out of these forecasts. Ontario says gas goes up 4.3 cent on January 1st to cover carbon tax. That covers the retailer, but what is the value increase added to base price to cover carbon tax incurred by producing/refining/shipping? Me thinks more like 15-20 cent increase on January 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
          This graph is VERY misleading for showing the effects of a carbon tax.

By 2020 Alberta will have the privilege of paying $50/tonne with fuel have GST calculated on top of this tax. (Grassy's grass uses the $20/tonne rate in 2017.)

As far as a farmers perspective goes we know our costs will increase at least $12/acre.
          Who is trying to mislead? The highest rate I've seen quoted for AB 2020 is $30/tonne. As it will be extended to 78% of the economy by then versus a smaller % initially they reckon it equates to an overall tax of between $21-$22. The GST isn't an issue as what farmer doesn't reclaim GST?
          Even if we went with your wildly wrong $50/tonne level straight through the carbon tax would still be less than either the federal or provincial component. Not the big boogey man it's made out to be.

Comment

It's a bogey man because it will serve no viable purpose at the end of the day .

Comment

According to Gerald Butts staff:

The Government of Canada proposes a pan-Canadian benchmark for carbon pricing that reflects these principles and the Vancouver Declaration. Its goal is to ensure that carbon pricing applies to a broad set of emission sources throughout Canada with increasing stringency over time to reduce GHG emissions at lowest cost to business and consumers and to support innovation and clean growth.

The benchmark includes the following elements:

Timely introduction. All jurisdictions will have carbon pricing by 2018.
              Common scope. Pricing will be based on GHG emissions and applied to a common and broad set of sources to ensure effectiveness and minimize interprovincial competitiveness impacts. At a minimum, carbon pricing should apply to substantively the same sources as British Columbia’s carbon tax.
              Two systems. Jurisdictions can implement: (i) an explicit price-based system (a carbon tax like British Columbia’s or a carbon levy and performance-based emissions system like in Alberta), or (ii) a cap-and-trade system (e.g. Ontario and Quebec).
              Legislated increases in stringency, based on modelling, to contribute to our national target and provide market certainty.
              For jurisdictions with an explicit price-based system, the carbon price should start at a minimum of $10 per tonne in 2018, and rise by $10 per year to $50 per tonne in 2022.
              Provinces with cap-and-trade need: (i) a 2030 emissions reduction target equal to or greater than Canada’s 30 percent reduction target; (ii) declining (more stringent) annual caps to at least 2022 that correspond, at a minimum, to the projected emissions reductions resulting from the carbon price that year in price-based systems.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=1&nid=1132169

Looks to me like Alberta gets a $50/tonne tax by 2022 if Notley/Trudeau both win their next election.

Comment

Can someone explain where this carbon tax pricing goes?

Someone collects this tax ....calls it revenue neutral cough....then where?

If I am seeding single pass no til my fuel consumption can't get much lower and no one is paying for my contribution to the environment....meanwhile the nature conservancy gets money for their accumulated land base.....
                Last edited by bucket; Dec 29, 2016, 14:43.

Comment

Gas has gone up more that 10 cent/litre in the last 4 days, who is bitching about that and where did that money go ??

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                    Gas has gone up more that 10 cent/litre in the last 4 days, who is bitching about that and where did that money go ??
                    Have you ever heard of "market forces"? That's where it went. If fact, with a 20 - 30% increase in the market value of both crude and gasoline futures, it's surprising that the increase at the pumps wasn't double. Not that I want it to be.

The reason we bitch about the carbon tax is because it's an arbitrary and absolutely useless tax that comes from a false, ideological premise imposed on us by a bunch of airheads that oommmh at trees and squat in funny positions to impress their equally air-headed "friends". But their hardest workout is the calisthenics they go through to justify their own excesses while telling us to reduce our carbon footprint.

Because in spite of what they tell us to do, they scoot around the world in jet planes to meet with other airheads with whom they wag their collective fingers at us, telling us we're "bad actors" for burning so much fossil fuel and causing "carbon pollution" as we try to keep our homes warm in a Canadian winter.

But they seemingly fool a lot of lesser airheads who repeat their mantra and post crap that supports their agenda.

Poor, sad fools.

Comment

Here's hoping Brad keeps fighting the good fight. I feel for you Albertans. Let's hope Trudeau royally f#@ks shit up and pisses off Ontario and Quebec next election.

Comment

I can explain JT's carbon tax with one picture ...

Comment

Furrowtickler.

Who was the artist?

That's not the little finger, that's just a little perspective the gashead forgot about. lol

Comment

The zombie apocalypse can't come soon enuf. That Trudope wouldn't last a minute. He'd try to take pictures with them. Same with all the asses in the U.N. he's kissing.

Comment

Burnt Yes I have heard of market forces, just never seen them unless you cryers are useing them to justify those poor hard dun by oil workers that only make 6 figures setting in a company owned pickup pulling thier puds , and those other poor exs sitting in houston drinking hiballs dreaming up the next round of price goudging to fill the pockets of the share holders. If I had my choise of tax or overinflated pay envelopes I would pick the tax, that , I may have a better chance of getting some value from.as a member of the public.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...