• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give yourself this Christmas Present ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Vicki,

Weber has a certain views which I disagreed with. He seems to carry a lot of resentment even though his side won? I guess he needs to work out his own personal issues.

There was lots of disagreement amongst farmers over the CWB.

Why anyone would think that everyone should have the same point view on any subject always amazes me.

When put to a vote the majority of Board of Directors of the CWB was always pro single desk. Farmers elected the Board democratically.

Ritz promised a referendum before changing the CWB, but knew he couldn't win, so avoided having one.

What is interesting is wheat and durum prices are still not very good and complaints about the grain companies are on going. Perhaps even worse.

If getting rid of the CWB was a victory for some farmers, it was a hollow victory.

I think many farmers have a lot of ego and generally think they are smarter or better than the neighbor.

Good neighbors take care of their neighbors and friends even if they don't agree with them all the time or vote for the same political party.

Those who hold long term grudges generally suffer for it.

Learning how to communicate and get over our disagreements with family, friends and neighbors is a skill that some have to work at.

I have met very few people who are not worthy of a few kind words and some understanding.

The true character of people shows itself not in how they treat their friends but how they treat their real or "perceived" foes.

Life is pretty short and having a positive view of the world and people will help to make life easier.

Comment

Write a novel. U seem to have time to cut and paste bullshit all day long.

Comment

By the sounds of things its more than just me that could do with some work on their public relations skills.

In the meantime I will observe from a distance any innovation shown by early adopters; and give especially full credit to those who do it with their own dime and not be dependent on tax dollars and subsidies.

Is that not the unsustainable way; and todays growing taxes, catering to demands for lax mind altering substances rules; laws; regulations; oversight, and attempting to look after every aspect of daily lives; just the evidence of nations in decay. Citizens of prosperous nations seem to have had characteristics of hard work, limited excesses and a drive from within themselves. Turning that drive over to government decisions; religous "leaders" and slave masters (of one form or another) tends to foster resentment; poor work ethics and radical overthrows of the status quo.....given a bit of time.

Comment

Chuckchuck, just for the record, I voted and advocated for a candidate who was representing a dual market, CWB along with freedom. No sooner he was elected, he turned coat and was suddenly pro single-desk. Just saying, some things I still do remember. There were plenty of people who believed that both systems could run in tandem, benefitting many types of farmers. I still think it was unfortunate that the appetite was not there for duality.

Comment

We have so few voices who speak for farmers, less and less it seems, we are all busy, farms are larger, producers are less, we are all older, dreaming of warmer climes to boot. I do note that when we battled to CWB there was some sense of furor on both sides. Where on those voices now: carbon tax coming and if it were not for Brad Wall we would here little, and yes I have seen the letter, so it is not that we are doing nothing, but still we do very little, me included.

And so I merely note that anyone who is in the public eye, you are going to disagree with a some point, unless of course they are you, and style is something we all value perceive and differently in a farm advocate. Most of us have had our battles, some have mended fences others choose not to. But at the end of the day there a few people who will put their hand in the fire for anything, much less a farmer, and maybe this column proves why: you do risk getting burnt, for what good reason one would ask, when they do not even farm?

As for the CWB I doubt anyone on either side thought the process of change was well managed, especially in light of the transportation fiasco which resulted. Fast forward to the carbon tax which will directly affect our livelihood for decades, and most of us have likely not taken the time see what can be done to lobby against it.

Policy from government still has an impact on ag, it always will, being popular with government has been the flavor of the day, good for those in the meeting, was it good for those of us on the outside.

Time will tell.

Comment

PS Merry Christmas!

Comment

Its always been clear; but now its in writing.

Everyone else must change their ways right now because there is no choice. But those who push that demand the hardest get to wait and gather information; and pursue their other priorities and they get to pick and choose exactly their timing.

It is nobodies business what the promoters do, but they can make their crusade to absolutely change the way everyone else can operate.

Further THEY don't operate to please anyone else.

That I will remember when next I hear how I must change my ways

And there is absolutely no reason to please (or listen to in any way) those who have such an attitude.

How do you set up that "ignore" button Larry? Its the only thing to do. Reply With Quote

Comment

Chuckchuck, put your own money where your mouth is! You are fixated on the carbon crap so you be the leader of the "save a degree" pack. Go for it! Have a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    Chuckchuck, put your own money where your mouth is! You are fixated on the carbon crap so you be the leader of the "save a degree" pack. Go for it! Have a blast.
                    Like.

Comment

Originally posted by wakopa
                      lies again chuck chuck, how many years did cwb get over 7 dollars for wheat, maybe one,i get over 7 every year and there are lots of farmers capilizing on no union government interference, we also get very good elevator service and grain movement. some poeple complain all the time. yes you should be on the ignore button. try telling the truth and maybe gain some respect.
                      Wakopa sorry to disagree But The highest price I've received for durum was under CWB , every bushel sold at just over $ 12. Since then we have sold small amounts for that but not averaged that amount .

The year following the end of the board, durum prices were 14 at port and we were getting 8. Shortage in the states and we were taking it up the rear. Then 2013 happened and Grain Cos were Bought and paid for in ONE F!!!in year by Richardsons ,Glencore etc.
                      Sorry Wakopa but the Handing over of the grain industry to the Saudis and the grain cos with No expected accountability or expected transparency in the markets, is Not what we had in mind for an OPEN market

Comment

Go ahead hit the ignore button. I am just one of many with a view point you don't like.

Why not add Brad Wall and the President of SaskPower to the ignore list because they have a plan to spend money on wind, solar, and carbon capture.

Also add the President of Suncor and Cenovus to the ignore list as they stood with Notley and are in favour of a carbon tax and worried about climate change.

Also add Brian Paliister the new Progressive Conservative premier of Manitoba to the list as he believes in climate change.

The list goes on and on......ignore them all.

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
                          Wakopa sorry to disagree But The highest price I've received for durum was under CWB , every bushel sold at just over $ 12. Since then we have sold small amounts for that but not averaged that amount .

The year following the end of the board, durum prices were 14 at port and we were getting 8. Shortage in the states and we were taking it up the rear. Then 2013 happened and Grain Cos were Bought and paid for in ONE F!!!in year by Richardsons ,Glencore etc.
                          Sorry Wakopa but the Handing over of the grain industry to the Saudis and the grain cos with No expected accountability or expected transparency in the markets, is Not what we had in mind for an OPEN market
                          Yippee! One year in 74 years the --- did good. That was the year that wht. hit $25./bus. wasn't it? mustardman you're leaving out all the REAL bad years, from a 3 bus. quota all year to " there is no market for your fusarium wht." There's a good reason why canola became the cinderella crop of western canada. It PAID the bills, wht. didn't.

Comment

Do some of these people realy believe in climate change ? Or are they jumping on the bandwagon for self interest ?

Comment

Interesting the same folk both here and in real life are the same old crusaders for the _ _ _ .
                              Funny, that actually damages credibility in this current debate.
                              Dont be too harsh as we need these people. It is up to the individual to ignore.

Comment

The next time your local "community builders" engage in self-congratulations; it may be appropriate for anyone to point out instances where those "community leaders" may have also participated in divisive personal behavior with their "Neighbors" or even negative comments meant to discredit legitimate governments and regulatory bodies.

Should not the tone of discussion and interaction be "dragged up" by good leadership of those who seek public titles; and not be frequently used as a licence for providing poor examples of conduct.

Or does society expect less rather than more from its supposed leadership at all levels.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...