• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much land will PV need to supply our electricity?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chuck as he said is waiting to see if his neighbors solar system is all it is cracked up to be first. a good move.

Comment

Binthere has it right. I am waiting to see if it is worth the investment. It looks promising but it is not a big money saver. If it makes sense it will happen.

There are lots of ways to spend cash on farms. If I decide a tractor or combine is a better investment then I may pass on solar. But real world experience is what most farmers rely on when making decisions.

The interesting thing is that solar pv panels are coming way down in price. Canada has import tarrifs to protect Canadian manufacturers. Solar is taking off in many parts of the world with better sunnier climates than here. China and India may be the biggest producers and buyers.

It is always interesting to see how some farms spend money. Different farms have different priorities. Some like red paint, some like green and some like blue. Some like new, some prefer used. Some prefer a cattle operation. Some prefer grain. Some just goof around with no plan in mind.

I don't care what other farmers think about what I do with my money and time because it is really none of their business.

I am not farming to please my neighbors.

Comment

Its always been clear; but now its in writing.

Everyone else must change their ways right now because there is no choice. But those who push that demand the hardest get to wait and gather information; and pursue their other priorities and they get to pick and choose exactly their timing.

It is nobodies business what the promoters do, but they can make their crusade to absolutely change the way everyone else can operate.

Further THEY don't operate to please anyone else.

That I will remember when next I hear how I must change my ways

And there is absolutely no reason to please (or listen to in any way) those who have such an attitude.

How do you set up that "ignore" button Larry? Its the only thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          If it makes sense it will happen.
          Those are the key words for all of this technology. If it made economic sense, we would all be doing it, without any government subsidies, guilt trips or carbon taxes.

As much as I wish it did make sense, at this time, it just doesn't. Even if solar panels become free( and they are heading that direction), it still won't make any economic sense by the time storage is added to the cost. When that hurdle is cleared, it will make sense, and it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
            Binthere has it right. I am waiting to see if it is worth the investment. It looks promising but it is not a big money saver. If it makes sense it will happen.

There are lots of ways to spend cash on farms. If I decide a tractor or combine is a better investment then I may pass on solar. But real world experience is what most farmers rely on when making decisions.

The interesting thing is that solar pv panels are coming way down in price. Canada has import tarrifs to protect Canadian manufacturers. Solar is taking off in many parts of the world with better sunnier climates than here. China and India may be the biggest producers and buyers.

It is always interesting to see how some farms spend money. Different farms have different priorities. Some like red paint, some like green and some like blue. Some like new, some prefer used. Some prefer a cattle operation. Some prefer grain. Some just goof around with no plan in mind.

I don't care what other farmers think about what I do with my money and time because it is really none of their business.

I am not farming to please my neighbors.
            Your waiting to see if it's worth the investment?! You mean you don't even believe your own cut and paste articles? You keep telling everybody it's cheap. Hypocrite.

Comment

Go ahead hit the ignore button. I am just one of many with a view point you don't like.

Why not add Brad Wall and the President of SaskPower to the ignore list because they have a plan to spend money on wind, solar, and carbon capture.

Also add the President of Suncor and Cenovus to the ignore list as they stood with Notley and are in favour of a carbon tax and worried about climate change.

Also add Brian Paliister the new Progressive Cosnervative premier of Manitoba to the list as he believes in climate change.

The list goes on and on......ignore them all.

Comment

One thing that I realized I missed in my opinion of the payback time period on solar was the cost of financing. Obviously most of these installations on people's houses would be financed extending the payback period. This whole promotion by the environmentalists of a power source that only creates power 20-25% of the time as being the energy of the future is beyond belief. Would you run a 4wd tractor in the field that would only run 20% of the time you know this so you buy a second one that you know works all of the time and when the first one quits you go get the second one! Does this make sense? How can this be a step forward?

Comment

The difference is chuck, that all the people you mentioned don't dwell on a single topic, they cover a host of topics ( and they listen ) The truth has been put right in front of you and you just ignore it and put up another cut and paste. If you farm, surely there's other things you do to make your farm viable other than worrying about other people's co2.

Comment

Who's to say what the next innovation will be? We need to keep an open mind. And keep thinking and wondering.
                    But of all the game changing technologies to come along. How many were born from a tax?..Pure Subsidy?.. Half? Less? Considering we didnt have a general tax, the birth of the nanny state, before the First War.
                    Now if the wealthy, and Ch2 must be one, patronize new ideas, thats great as its by his choice. Usually with a goal of profit by the benefactor.

I repeat: Wealth Redistribution

#carbonscam

Comment

Go ahead hit the ignore button. I am just one of many with a view point you don't like.

Any distaste has nothing to do with renewable energy or any activity of a person minding their own business and making their personal decisions. However; when those view points are used to try to further an agenda and used to convince a public with apparently neither the desire ; nor interest; nor maybe even the ability to make their own informed decisions; then I am pleased to say there are those who don't fear bringing up points that are never acknowledged...even when it is obvious the only response will be innuendos made about their apparently archaic, anti environmental ways which not even worthy of responding to ; and general anti social troublemaking; and full responsibility forthe current mess which some believe now surrounds the globe.

Honesty to provide all known facts and full disclosure are requirements not options at discretion of the promoter.... or I hope other people do speak up loud and clear.

How could anyone possibly know what viewpoint to believe (if any of the many glowing, promising news releases are to be taken at face value) that ck2 has provided. Not a bit of local first hand experience; and nothing of real results from the one or two supposed projects of unknown size belonging to neighbors who are are being "monitored" for results . And then the audacity to mention they may very well pass on what was so strongly promoted. NOT READY YET.......POORLY THOUGHT OUT.......MAYBE EVEN DELIBERATE INCOMPLETE INFORMATION AND TO TOP IT OFF...... NOT EVEN CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO SPELL EXACTLY WHERE OTHER PEOPLE'S LOGIC FAILS

The question should be is significant solar PV ( for Western Canadian conditions) advanced enough to make sense on any sustainable grounds. Today Alberta announced $200 rebates for the majority of adults in the province. This is supposedly enough compensation for the additional increase in those person's cost increases due to a $20 per ton of carbon that will be collected and will be built into retail prices of every imaginable good. Can one expect any life style changes; and reduced use from that majority who supposedly is "fully compensated " in any event.
                      From the cut and pastes seen so far; renewable energy is a no brainer. But even some "may pass" on solar PV. And yet not a word of logic as to why anyone with the view point of ck2 would not be practicing what they are preaching.

It will be interesting to see what the interest is in the two Sask Power 10 Mw solar PV projects being "tendered ". Even more interesting will be what Sask Power pays for the power; and what enticements are required to get any investor involved.

That will tell if there is any immediate real future for solar PV in the forseeable near term. In the mean time we could be focusing some human thought energy on that which is being fully wasted (eg. flare gas and venting); improving efficiencies (eg. cogeneration with waste energy gains of double or even close to three times work energy now being utilized); and research get promising technologies closer to real world conditions implementation.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...