• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War on Carbon vs. War on Cigarettes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    AF5, Here is the research on smoking and tobacco taxes.

[URL="http://fjc.people.uic.edu/Presentations/Papers/taxes_consump_rev.pdf"]http://http://fjc.people.uic.edu/Presentations/Papers/taxes_consump_rev.pdf[/URL]

Here is the crucial info as I know most don't like reading lengthy articles.

Question asked: How Effective are Taxes in Reducing Tobacco Consumption?

Answer: The review of the literature clearly shows that the answer to the question posed in the title of this chapter is 'very effective'. Increasing cigarette and other tobacco taxes will lead to significant reductions in the use of these products, resulting from reductions in the frequency of use by continuing users, as well as reductions in the prevalence of use.

It works, so will a carbon tax.
    I never said it hasn't reduced smoking, only that it hasn't eliminated it, meanwhile governments continue to collect taxes on this product which is well proven to kill people. And no one ever claimed that tabacco taxes were revenue neutral, unlike the claims about carbon taxes. A revenue neutral tax will not cause me to change my ways, a pain in the pocket book certainly will.

Comment

Mustardman, I honestly haven't studied Sweden's example, and I will. But if I had to guess, during this period, they likely deindustrialized, and increased their "information economy" Which is a polite way of saying that they moved all the dirty industries off shore, while shuffling paper at home, which certainly is the way of the future, but is not saving the planet, nor is it adding real economic growth. But I will do some research and see, I hope I am wrong, and they have found a way to do it while also increasing productive capacity of their country.

Comment

Really? More Sweden and Norway comparisons?

Comment

A couple of thoughts on Sweden. 83% of electricity comes from hydro and nuclear which is given credit to a great extent for their low C02 emissions.

Taxes 25% VAT. Personal 31% income tax up to 62 thousand US dollars, above that 51%. The one that caught my eye was corporate tax 22%. Government debt is a little over 40% of GDP.

I would be interested in knowing if they are having the same problems with drugs like fentanyl as we are in Canada. Countries like Norway and Sweden seem to have a more cohesive culture, I think this contributes a great deal to their success.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...