• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ducks Unlimited quacks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducks Unlimited quacks

Never had a lot of use for this outfit but no respect now. What is with their radio interviews today about the prairie disappearance much faster than the rain forest? Saying producers farming more and more land to increase profitability..
    Well no shit Sherlock. How much economy would all the prairie wool generate?
    So tired of all these well fed parasites proclaiming the negative impact of agriculture. There's lots of sloughs for ducks-keep quiet with the half-baked scare tactics when you haven't considered the whole picture

Easy solution - they should get their supporters to help fund a CRP program like the US has - pay farmers to turn the land back to grass and weeds. Or maybe they can get PM Selfie to dump a bunch of money into it. He likes pissing money down rat hole, come out and take selfies with the gophers and coyotes.

Comment

I don't mind programs and there are non govt ones too which cover cost of grass seed. For a cow guy it's a win win. Think the duck outfit is overstepping pissing on ag. It's farmers who turn their swamps over to them willingly. Talk about shitting in your own nest.

Comment

FU DU. Hate these pricks. RMs should all pass bylaws to stop them from buying land and registering caveats. ****ing wealth destroyers

Comment

they really need to be named Duck Hunters Unlimited. Rich american duck hunters want lots of ducks and land is cheap here.
          That CRP that is used in the US is a very good way for society to help in taking care of habitat for wildliefe and keeping marginal land sustainable. Here in canada farmers pay the full cost of doing this. while we let city folk come hunt and recreate on our property for nothing. what is wrong with this picture?

Comment

Then we will have to pay the carbon tax when the drive their hunting crews across our property .

Comment

I have not heard the interview, but i will tell you a little story about DU that will gve you an idea on how hypocritical they are if that is the message they are spouting. I have a DU project on some of my land that has been in place for 25 years, it involves a earthen dam and the resulting resivoir. It provides a basin for runoff and it does exactly what it was supposed to do, provide nesting areas and habitat for ducks, geese and other waterfowl. Now DU wants to abandon the project remove the dam and drain the lake all because they do not want to spend the money to do some maitenance on the dam. They would turn over control of the project to me but won't unless the dam is up to their standards and they won't spend the money to do so. So if DU is criticising farmers for not saving wetlands, that is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
                I have not heard the interview, but i will tell you a little story about DU that will gve you an idea on how hypocritical they are if that is the message they are spouting. I have a DU project on some of my land that has been in place for 25 years, it involves a earthen dam and the resulting resivoir. It provides a basin for runoff and it does exactly what it was supposed to do, provide nesting areas and habitat for ducks, geese and other waterfowl. Now DU wants to abandon the project remove the dam and drain the lake all because they do not want to spend the money to do some maitenance on the dam. They would turn over control of the project to me but won't unless the dam is up to their standards and they won't spend the money to do so. So if DU is criticising farmers for not saving wetlands, that is like the pot calling the kettle black.
                be funny to take a hoe and dig it out in the winter time

Comment

Quad track. What radio station was the interview on. CBC quirks and quarks?.

The new DU agenda is to pit the Urbanite against the farmer, by telling lies and starting controversy. I bet they determined they get more in donations when they spread misinformation by blaming the farmer for all the me ills just so some American Hunter can shoot ****ing ducks.

Our wetlands have increased substantially over the past decade, as well as our water flows through our land, not from increased drainage but from a doubling and tripling of our annual precipitation.

I have more to add about DU's bullshit and lies when I get to a computer, but for now FU DU.

Comment

It was on the news section of CKOM 650.

Comment

On the CKOM website this is an actual news article!

http://ckom.com/article/1176381/canadian-prairie-grasslands-shrinking-faster-rainforest

Canadian prairie grasslands shrinking faster than rainforest
                      By JT Marshall December 16, 2016 - 4:55pm

We've all heard about the disappearance of arctic ice or the shrinking of the Amazonian rainforest – but one group of conservationists says it's time to look in our own backyard.
                      Nature Conservancy Canada said prairie grasslands are shrinking, with more than 70 per cent now being used for agriculture or industry.
                      They say, by comparison, just 20 per cent of the Amazon has been converted for other uses.
                      According to Scott Stephens with Ducks Unlimited, people don't get outraged close to home because they aren't seeing the bigger picture of change.
                      "When you go from forest to a canola field the next year, not a lot of people notice," Stephens said.
                      "Once people start to notice and care that's when I think it will change," he said.

– With files from The Canadian Press
                      Email jmarshall@rawlco.com
                      https://twitter.com/JTMarshallCKOM

Comment

Seems a little weird or maybe even counter productive. Save wetlands and increase habitat so they can kill the ducks?

Comment

Nothing quicker to get a "heritage sensitive" designation than to donate an artifact (even one called "unknown") and the home quarter will be subject to official scrutiny from then on every time someone wants to "disturb" the topsoil.

Same can apply to anyone (even a tenant??) conceding to let someone count the ducks on a quarter section that has been 100% cropped. Watch out for an "environmentally sensitive" sticker to get permanently attached

What can anyone actually do on private land without others thinking they have over riding interests.
                          Last edited by oneoff; Dec 18, 2016, 07:35.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strawberry Lakes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	765296

DU built some trenches connecting these "lakes"(better description would be marshes). The largest one, called "Dry Lake" on the bottom right was only ever a large flat with a dribble of water in the lowest part. After the last several years of excess moisture that one filled beyond it's usual boundaries flooding the more than adequate municipal road running past the south west corner of it. Across this road is a steel quonset now surrounded by water. The road has since been built up with rip-rap along the ditches to prevent the waves from eroding the road. It is a bit unnerving seeing it the way it is today... dead trees around it's perimeter and more water than I've ever seen in it. We used to pasture cattle in the community pasture bordering it and there was only ever a wee bit of water in it.

Besides the excess water that would normally run into this basin people are blaming farmland drainage as also contributing. There is supposedly ditch blocks in the trenches as well but people are pulling(or lifting) the planks in the control structures. Water probably would have got there by itself but not as much and not without the two marshes upstream flooding first...

"Rumor" has it DU has been approached for financial help for building up the road. I can't verify if they ante'd up.

Comment

Hey farma so that is where you park your private jet!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...