• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canaryseed on edge ground

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canaryseed on edge ground

Anyone have experience with canary planted on edge ground applied last spring on lentils, rotating to canary this year. Edge never worked well last year and was thinking of putting some acres on this ground. Had 25 plus inches of rain and lower organic matter in SW. Land has been zero tilled for 20 years. Used surface applied Edge last year. Trying to cut durum acres out.

I thought there was plenty of carry over of canary seed?

What gives if a middleman is growing it?

Comment

Market signals? Or someone using common sense and tired of growing susceptible durum and getting beaten on the head with the fusarium and vomitoxin sticks....

Comment

Eroded knolls, less than 2% organic matter, rate used things to consider.

It's been decades since we used the stuff but always thought granular formulations of the group 3's were more likely to persist.
        Hopefully some one will comment that has actually tried canary

Comment

There will be lots of canary carryover this year and i am expecting 20 cent price for next fall, but trying to move acres from durum. I grew alot of red lentils in 2016 and forced to mainly grow cereals this year. I had Edge on half my potential cereal acres last year. I used granular in spring 2016. We have a pretty wide range of land but quite a bit of heavy clay.

Comment

Would soybeans work?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              Would soybeans work?
              No. I don't see soybeans as a great fit in SW. Really need to rotate to cereals.

Comment

I wouldn't do it Dave. Same boat as you are. Two years ago with a light rate = maybe. One year ago = a definite no

Comment

You've had a lot of rain. The Edge is probably gone. Test the soil with Edmonton lab.

Comment

Someone on the family did that on that sticky soil down on the flat. It didn't end well...

Comment

Do not do it Dave... Bad idea. Canary very sensitive

Comment

Why not an oilseed??

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...