• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hauling grain....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hauling grain....

At what point do you say it's too cold to operate the truck, auger, grain-vac, clear snow and say "**** it" I'm not hauling in this weather.... hard to complain about rail service when we don't want to operate in the same weather conditions they don't.....

Weather is frightful for a few days yet, then it's warming up. Guess we don't have the luxury of picking a warm day. 😬

Comment

.....damn last night's full moon!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        .....damn last night's full moon!
        Oh, the full moon had me awake until 1:30 am....

Comment

Road conditions and visibility are the main decider for me.

Too cold? As long as the equipment works without problems and the truck is trustworthy it's a go.
          I'd never talk someone out of staying home if they so choose

Comment

Good weather to haul fert in as long as everything starts. Too windy and I shut it down. Cold and wind are no fun.

Comment

Would love to haul Viterra jerking me around. Still havent called my Nov canola.
              Last edited by biglentil; Dec 14, 2016, 10:35.

Comment

Minus 36 wind chill this morning. Glad canola truck is coming and don't have to start our trucks..
                Sometimes the extra cost is cheap..

Comment

Big lentil

You been blacklisted too? ?????

Lol.

Comment

You kids are soft
                    Why when I was young we had to haul grain in trucks without air conditioning.

Comment

Supposed to start tomorrow.... just got everything ready... try and start stuff today and load.... then start full bore tomorrow.

My apprentice said, "why do we live somewhere where the air hurts my face". LOL....

Maybe this is the price I pay from digging my heels in and not selling in fall.... Oh well, at least they are giving me a chance to get my wheat in. I will do my best.... I want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. But weather like this is hard on both man and machine.
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 14, 2016, 12:24.

Comment

Its not bad if you don't have a few feet of snow.....but when you get a dump of snow it turns into a lot of work. I find using a small block heaters on the augers always makes thing go smooth as well as synthetic oil.
                        Haven't put chains on my auger tires yet but have heard that is a cheap improvement that really improves traction.

The last few years I've made a point of moving more grain pre-December to reduce my snow clearing intervals and firing up of tractors to pull a semi.

McFarms is right though, people in general are getting softer than 10, 20, 30 years ago.
                        Last edited by Oliver88; Dec 14, 2016, 13:06.

Comment

We generally haul when needed. Starting augers can be an issue but we change oil to 0w40. Just bought a magnetic block heater maybe that will help also. Try to just ignore the weather. It's out of my control.

Comment

Auger tire chains sound like a good plan.

Comment

Braveheart.... we took the battery off and put it in a warm place with the charger on it and we also just bought an magnetic heater as well. The thing got hot enough to burn my fingers.... duh, live and learn. Always put gasline antifreeze in the gas in fall before freeze up. Days/times like this I wish I was more of a hot destination type of person...
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 14, 2016, 13:16.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...