• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Education ranking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it hard to believe that after several years of mb. being at the lowest end of the education score in almost every category, ( in the country ) that now we're not! Must be the new conservative gov. in mb. that has improved things. Did this come from the CBC? ( that now sask. is lowest )

Comment

Seabass, in Mb the superintendent has no say in the curriculum.

Comment

It all starts at home , then it's also a fact as riders said in his first sentence, and the drug problem.
        Miat of the kids with low grades come from homes where parents don't give a shit - that's a fact.
        Also the system now has to pass everyone so not to hurt their feelings regardless if they show up or put any effort in . There is much more to the story than blaming "bad teachers". The system needs a shake up, along with parents responsibility.

Comment

I have tried every avenue to help with new math. The educators don't want parents helping, because its so "different". The kids don't learn the multiplication tables and are expected to solve complex problems with no basic math skills. It is insane! Every school district should be given the right to dump new math and go back to old math. This Minister of Education in Saskatchewan must be replaced with someone with a math major - turn this bus around. I know of parents who have said, " screw this school system" and are sending their kids to Oxford for their math at $600/month. Now what does that say for our curriculum? poor kids are so frustrated. Furrow, you can say drugs but no, some kids are desperately hoping someone will help them. i was at a basketball game yesterday with a group of 15 year-olds and after the game, that's all they talked about - how they are struggling with their math and no one is helping them.

Comment

Furrow. I don't disagree with what you said about some parents that dont really care but many more do. What are parents to do though when the education system is hell bent on forcing their vision on how kids need to be taught even when studies like his say it's not working. Almost every time I see how my kids are doing or trying to do math I feel depressed. They are just someone's experiment gone wrong. I keep hearing many parents saying the same thing that this isn't working but the powers that be seem to think they know better. Very sad when a very bright grade seven student is playing a game with dice and has to add 5 4's rather than know instantly that 5x4 equals 20. I don't want to even start on how she is being taught to do square roots. It's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Hoo karz....skool iz 4 stoopid peepl enywey
              Ugreed. TV is gooder.

Comment

Originally posted by grefer View Post
                Furrow. I don't disagree with what you said about some parents that dont really care but many more do. What are parents to do though when the education system is hell bent on forcing their vision on how kids need to be taught even when studies like his say it's not working. Almost every time I see how my kids are doing or trying to do math I feel depressed. They are just someone's experiment gone wrong. I keep hearing many parents saying the same thing that this isn't working but the powers that be seem to think they know better. Very sad when a very bright grade seven student is playing a game with dice and has to add 5 4's rather than know instantly that 5x4 equals 20. I don't want to even start on how she is being taught to do square roots. It's sad.
                I agree, trying to re-invent the wheel using our kids as a guinny pig, we are too passive or busy and accept things that we know are bullshit. There is a NO chocolate policy in our high school, some kids are allergic, the whole school population is affected because of a few.
                This is high school people, next step is the real world and you will not be protected from these sort of threats.
                The next generation is in for a sharp learning curve once school is out and have to face the real world

Comment

This explains a lot :
                  University of Louisville WBB Head Coach on Millennials and Trophy Mentality

I am not up to speed on loading YouTube videos , but when you have time it's only 2:45 min. It explains a lot . Our society has fallen victim to this leftist boo hoo , or "it's ok to finish last " garbage that does not produce winners or push kids to do better. They get a dam ribbon or trophy or get passed into the next grade for failing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...