• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Education ranking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education ranking

What's everybody think about Saskatchewan's education rank?
    The worst in Canada in math,science and reading!!
    Who answers for this failing grade ??
    This is very disturbing. Wow!

Worst in math doesn't surprise me one bit.

Iceman out

Comment

Mb no better. Powerfull teachers unions catering to their selfish needs, id like to compare private school results vs public.

Comment

These rankings are bs cause performance varies from school to school and region to region. The more rural a setting the worse the education because of available resources ie teachers, teaching materials etc. Like the problem of attracting doctors to rural areas, getting the better end of teachers out to rural communities is difficult. Not knocking teachers but some should've chose another career path like pumping gas. Once these poorer calibre ones have been in long enough they are unfireable. If they are truly incompetent they will be given a crap position like middle years that usually persuades them to quit. In rural settings it's harder to move in new blood or better staff and the quality of education suffers. I am lucky my children's' small town school is staffed by truly amazing staff. The principal is fantastic and that is what makes or breaks it. A poor principal creates a poor environment.
        Next question are reserve schools factored in cause when no one shows up for school they're not going to learn much.

Comment

I took schooling in both Alberta and Manitoba growing up. I can attest to the fact that in many subjects, Manitoba curriculums were about a year behind the ones in Alberta. When I first moved to MB many things were repetitive and it made me slightly nervous to move back to AB for the end of Grade 11 and 12. I purposely made it a point to finish all my math schooling in MB before heading west as I didn't want to run into issues there.

Ironically enough, after pushing to make sure I had Grade 12 math which is needed to graduate in MB, it is not a requirement of graduation in AB. You only need grade 11 :roll eyes:

The test putting SK and MB so low is done on 15 year olds and focuses on Math, English and Sciences. Obviously there's differences up to and including the 18 year olds in those subjects.

Additionally in MB I did not take Social Studies. Instead we had World Issues (similar to Social Studies) and Canadian Studies where we learnt specifically about Canadian history. Because of this distinction instead of just "Social Studies" I feel confident that I know far more about Canadian history than most Alberta high school students. So if a study done to compare typical Social Studies MB students may also fall behind and seem lacking where if the study was done to compare Canadian history learning, they could be at the top.

I really wouldn't rely heavily on the accuracy of that study anyway. Too many variables in just my limited experience with the curriculums.

Comment

I would think there is reserves in all provinces no?
            Every province has rural areas right?
            I would think the curriculum would be unique to Each province, that should be looked at closely

Comment

7/5 of the students can't do math.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                7/5 of the students can't do math.
                It's the good old 90/20 rule

Iceman out

Comment

Schools out east seperate the troubled kids from rest. Just lately our gov cut out community college for older people there were in our school 20 and 21 year old that did not have grade 12 sitting next to our kids??? When they should have been somewhere at an adult learning facility. There is also such a major drug problem in Saskatchewan and manitoba rural schools particular. No one wants to talk about it but it's getting worse as authorities have been cut in rural areas. It s not a good situation for our government to cut the future of our people
                  Like they have. The survey is skewed because comparing apples and oranges but it does show there is something wrong with what's happening here.
                  Haven't been ndp gov here for how long??? But I m sure they ll be blamed.

Comment

in Manitoba the curriculum is handed to te teachers, who have no say in it. Now in the last view years, inclusion is mandated, children with learning disabilities in the classroom take up much of a teachers attention. teaching aids do very little, report on the teachers to the principal. I know teachers who spend hours at night preparing, correcting, doing report cards b/c much of the day spent with the barely teachable and parents ready to jump on them if dissatisfied. If you want better education, it has to come from pressure on the government.
                    Problem may be the government just wants "worker bees".

Comment

There are some terrible teachers along with the new math. We have one in our high school that is dreadful, but you think anything is done about it? The kids pay the price.

Comment

Schools are set up for the convience of the teachers, When kids school for 12 yr and then have to upgrade to get into any kind of post ed jobs it makes one wonder why they went to school at all. I believe in scotland and holland you school for 10 yr and then take a kind of vocational traning so when you get out you are at least skilled at something. Grassfarmer how acurate is that ?? I have a few dutch neibors that are licensed mechanics and got most of the schooling before they graduated.

Comment

Hoo karz....skool iz 4 stoopid peepl enywey

Comment

Shit rolls down hill. The teachers are told what curriculum to teach by each divisions superintendent. If the superintendent has a lame brain idea about how they want a certain subject taught. The teachers have to follow that protocol or face the consequences. If its a shit way of learning and the boss doesn't see it or recognize it the kids suffer. The other problem is piss poor teachers that are only there for the paycheck. Whether it be the fact that they shouldn't have become teachers in the first place or the result of poor leadership and as a result become jaded and say the hell with it. Either way the kids lose. Something else is the no fail policy but thats a whole nother conversation.

Comment

Well Farma, I believe that teachers and comedians are the most important/neacessary people in this world. So humour gets a a pass.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...