• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Luddites (person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Luddites (person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology)

Does this sound familiar or will Luddite accusation also just be made against those opposed to carbon taxes.?

Front page article in last issue of Western Producer.

"Organic agriculture needs to reconsider its hard-line stance against biotechnology, says University of Saskatchewan plant scientist Steve Shirtliffe.

Otherwise, he says, people in the sector are in danger of becoming Luddites.

In November, the U.S. National Organic Standards Board said it was rejecting all new forms of biotechnology for plant breeding, including genome editing and gene silencing."

I am a luddite because I always thought organics was a process.

Still don't understand why you can't use RR crop varieties and grow them organically without any sprays or fertilizers.

Comment

There is no market for organic gmo products and most organic farmers can make a lot more money growing organic non-gmo varieties. Organic consumers don't want it.

There is also a growing list of non-organic products that are going non-gmo.

The secret to successful marketing is always tell the customer they are stupid and wrong when they don't buy what you grow.

Comment

The secret is to not cater to fussy people, and to let them grow their own organic products. Activities at the base level like producing your own food would keep most of these now catered, fussy people busy with tending to gardens for their own necessity, and away from interfering, and interrupting industrialization and new technology.

How many on site causes have you, chuckChuck had to by-pass because you cater to foodies?

Comment

Fussy people? Maybe discerning buyers.

Comment

Same WP article as quoted by oneoff, SDG.

Quote, "We've had GMOs for, how many years has it been, over 20 years. The world hasn't stopped turning. Horns haven't grown out of anybody's head.", unquote.

Yes SDG, FUSSY! Well, better ask gasfarmer if he owns any unhorned cattle that have crossed back to the dark side.!!!

Comment

Pretty funny to hear grizzled old farmers thoughts on what mostly urban and suburban consumers want.

When the food companies do their food focus groups they don't usually invite crotchety old farmers in to offer their opinions. I wonder why?

Comment

Most urbanites have been fed continuous B/S by MSM for 20 years about food production. The same MSM that promoted global warming , Iraq's WMD and many other made up crap

Comment

The point was that a U of S plant scientist all but called the US organic industry "Luddites"

So chuck shoots back about "grizzled old farmers". Sooner be called that than be known as someone opposed to industrialization and out to make coal resources worthless, oppose fossil fuels at every opportunity; except when there is a chance to capture someone else's tax money; or take advantage of the mineral rights and the oil industry bonuses; whilst denying pipeline routes and sending drilling mud and additives onto someone else.

Only when wind and solar ideas represent an alternative for Canadian farm producer (not 1% of Canadian producers or production); and until new suggestions about radical, impractical energy sources become proven and feasible in Western Canada should present reliable sources be decommissioned.

When guys like chuck can lead the way with solar and wind powered tractors and heavy vehicles and point to how machinery no longer is made of petrochemicals and smelted steel and aluminum etc. then they will deserve more respect than they now have. And all at affordable and competitive world prices or Western Canada will be at such a disadvantage that present agricultural operations will be doomed.

And since when is it not bragging to mention how much higher a price organic production is worth compared to insinuations their "fussy eaters" customers believe is contaminated, GMO laced, nutrient poor conventional food that does feed millions throughout the world.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                    Pretty funny to hear grizzled old farmers thoughts on what mostly urban and suburban consumers want.

When the food companies do their food focus groups they don't usually invite crotchety old farmers in to offer their opinions. I wonder why?
                    what a f$&king statement , you are unbelievable ! most of these grizzled crotchety old farmers know more about this than you could imagine, you are in your own little world. all these smart people want is more for nothing . try to get a real premium for non GMO canola , just for one example . it's a f$&king joke

Comment

Actually had warm thoughts of comrade Suzuki this morning as I stood for hours in a wind chill of >30.

Comment

The first thing that came to mind when I was called a "grizzly old farmer" was an anecdote told to me years ago by my lawyer about one of his bar associates. Just as an additional point of interest; the story teller has now advanced to becoming a Court of Queen's Bench Judge in his own right. But hopefully that doesn't confuse chuck too greatly.

Here's the story.
                        Many years ago there was a court case being heard with the Crown being represented by a lawyer of some intellect but obviously of smaller stature that normal. The case was of some interest to the public and among the on lookers was the accused "girlfriend". The questioning became heated at times and the presiding judge decided to call a short recess after a certain point.

As the Crown lawyer made his way down the isle past the gallery the "girlfriend" blurted out "You ****ing little bastard".

Now the punchline. Sometime afterwards the Crown lawyer had occasion to reminisce about "old times" with the Judge who had tried the case and he admitted he was quite taken back by the woman's inappropriate behavior. But he said; I didn't so much care about her calling me a "****ing bastard".....but she didn't have to call me "little"

So from now on...maybe a "grizzly farmer" in a pinch...but easy on calling me "old", you "pup" who should know better about a lot of things...
                        Last edited by oneoff; Dec 8, 2016, 03:33.

Comment

Sorry I missed the "crotchety old farmer" comment. Maybe should repeat above post, but since its a classic, it should be saved for appropriate times and not get worn out by needless repeating.

Comment

Wow I didn't know you are all so sensitive. I am getting pretty grizzled and crotchety my self!

The point is the food companies and consumers drive demand for products. Whether you agree with their choices is irrelevant. Most consumers are not living on farms and have very different motivations than us farmers.

I know it is always easier to view the world in black and white. But I personally have said that gmos or gene technology may have a place in organic agriculture once they offer significant advantages to consumers or organic producers. This hasn't happened yet.

Right now we have mostly gmo varieties that offer herbicide resistance which has value to non-organic farms. Otherwise there are no varieties that offer much that can't be developed by more conventional breeding techniques.

When did I say we are going to stop using fossil fuels any time soon. I know its is fun for many of you to exaggerate. But advocating moving towards cleaner forms of renewable energy in a measured affordable way is not the same as saying no fossil fuels.

As you have seen, I posted the long term cost of energy comparisons that show renewables like wind and solar have come down a lot in cost. Even Brad Wall is investing in wind and solar. So is North Dakota. Does that mean we will stop using fossil energy? No! We will all be long dead before that happens.

Just because we build some wind mills and put of some solar panels many of you seem to think you are going to freeze in the dark!

Did the world end when you started using a smart phone with a lithium battery? Or would you rather go back to the dial up land line for all your communication?

Get a grip!

Comment

Organic food is sold to rich white people. Lots of companies jumping on the bandwagon to get a piece of that.

Really quite simple actually, organic is the pinnacle of white privilege.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...