• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola moisture content in cold weather

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola moisture content in cold weather

If your canola is at 0 or -2, what effect does that have on moisture readings from a 919? The charts I find start at 11 C. I have taken the same sample of cold damp canola to two different elevators and it tested 12.8 at one and 14.1 at the other. Another instance with a different pair of elevators had 11 and 11.8. The low reading in both instances was at the same place but their dryer is booked up till Feb. Makes moving wet canola even more difficult because you don't know what you have.

You should warm up in room air temp to get accurate reading.

Comment

You know exactly what you have, wet canola that will not store.

Throw it in a plastic bag and nuke it 30 seconds. Works good. After all, its all relative!

Comment

At harvest we hardly did anything over 11 degrees. I got a 919 too, checked online and found a company that had calibrated charts well below freezing but they were pretty expensive so I didn't bother. I put my samples in a zip lock bag and warm up overnight then test. Local elevator has a heater they use at harvest time before they sample but I don't remember them using it regularly in winter.

2 local elevators on same rail line. One booking for April and already behind the other booking January prices have been comparable, timing makes no sense to me.

Comment

Yes I do know that I have wet canola that will not store. However, they may say we are taking up to 14% it would be nice to know if I have 13.5 or 15. The way it has gone is that it will be 13.5 at one elevator and 15 at the other.

Comment

Be aware that the grain commission changed the canola charts for the 919 meters in 2014

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...