• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food for thought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food for thought

http://www.producer.com/2016/11/honest-food-new-buzzword-in-ag-sector/?utm_source=Western+Producer&utm_campaign=dc923c74 b0--+2016-11-28&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a5b062b4c9-dc923c74b0-87668341

The drive has started here in western Canada by precision farm companies(pfc)
    Everyone scrambling to get data , or be the first in line to offer field to plate tracking. There have been lots of discussions with certain pfc's and the food chain markets and government.
    It may be coming sooner than we think.
    It's not a bad thing but explians why the big push to sign up acres . Farmers in western Canada for the most part don't know the extent of this , but we should .

In a bulk commodity system like we have ....is it possible to track?

Sign a declaration but no one wants to know the varieties grown...odd.

Comment

Shit runs down hill..... so when something goes wrong guess where it stops? At the bottom, where the Primary Producer is....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        In a bulk commodity system like we have ....is it possible to track?

Sign a declaration but no one wants to know the varieties grown...odd.
        Which has more credibility, Your signed declaration or sample drawn by elevator through unregulated, non certified, non flushed remote probe sampler and sample stored in buyers facility mixed with hundreds of others samples only accessible and controlled by them?

Comment

Ouch....

Comment

The current system is unaccountable.

A grainco really gets pissed and tells guys they are mixing durum with cps to get the fusarium down .

That's the system we have.
            Last edited by bucket; Nov 29, 2016, 09:22.

Comment

I haul wheat to the local terminal and they prob your load before you unload then you go in and sign the bag that has your wheat sample in it. Most days there are long line ups and they get four or five bags of wheat on the counter so I ask which one is mine. One guy standing looking at his phone points to one bag so that's the one I sign then someone else would say "no it is this bag" so scratch out my name on the first bag and sign the second. Then the second guy says "oh wait minute maybe it was the first bag". This story is confusing and I think day after day of filling bags with wheat there are lots of mistakes made and I wonder why they even bother.
              Last edited by seldomseen; Nov 29, 2016, 12:10.

Comment

I never took the time to read the article but look at the traceability in the livestock sector. With bar codes they can track a supermarket steak all the way back to the animal and farm of origin (in theory I bet in the event it's needed it doesn't work correctly)

I'm against this new way of reporting and traceability in general but seems to be the future. Lots of additional paperwork and time and cost for everyone and no payback for anyone.

For the segment of consumers that care and will pay a premium for it I think there could be specialty markets or basically farmers markets instead of across the board requirements.

Anyone ever hear of the elevators going after anyone's samples for recovery on Anything? When they ask my last three loads I always give them a smart ass answer like toxic waste and they end up writing down whatever I'm hauling!

Comment

Some good points gdr

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...