• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this is right as a farmer or not?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for confirming its been illegal for 3 years, there is no provision for raising rents on a whim to pay debt of the province.

Comment

Stonepicker

Governments all become corrupt without change in personel.

Leaving a minister in one portfolio too long breeds corruption.

Comment

I am sure government officials are choosing their words carefully and "surcharge " isn't likely one of them but really what else is it. Rental formulas are based on the yearly average price of a basket of commodities and the productivity of your land. Grazing rates are based on cattle prices and your AUM. The only way to hide the 30% increase would be to add it to the commodity prices and that would be hard to justify if it went to court.The representative that I've been dealing with has been very upfront about it.

Comment

Whats the big deal If you are getting welfare on your rent like the grazing leases are here in alta shut the **** up. Whats the secret ,no one seems willing to say what they are paying,just its too much, are you ashamed to tell the whole story ?? As for price of beef ,did aNYONE PAY 300% 3 YR AGO WHEN CALF PRICES WENT THROUGH THE ROOF ? Sorry for caps,big fingers When rents weer put in it was for a 1000# cow have anyone paid more for those 1800# cows? Quit bitching you are going to have to come off the TIT sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
            Whats the big deal If you are getting welfare on your rent like the grazing leases are here in alta shut the **** up. Whats the secret ,no one seems willing to say what they are paying,just its too much, are you ashamed to tell the whole story ?? As for price of beef ,did aNYONE PAY 300% 3 YR AGO WHEN CALF PRICES WENT THROUGH THE ROOF ? Sorry for caps,big fingers When rents weer put in it was for a 1000# cow have anyone paid more for those 1800# cows? Quit bitching you are going to have to come off the TIT sooner or later.

The whole scheme in Alberta is ****ered. Between rent paid out vs surface lease payments plus the surety of a looooong term lease vs the potato guy next door calling your landlord offering $200 an acre for a one year term and you get to deal with the washouts and unharvested Hills the next year cause his shed and contracts were full before he got to the pinch points of the field make government leases a sweetheart deal.

Comment

I can understand the frustration with this situation Riders but I have to ask why do these people have so much crop left out? Was the weather the shits right from august? I know october was a write off but u would think they would have had a bit of time in the weeks prior.

Comment

Originally posted by riders2010 View Post
                No land bank 12 dollar acre land here.
                But land that was priced according to grain prices as set out in the agreement and was always give or take compared to private.

Do you think it's right given the situation for sask ag to do this? Particularly when as I said crop is out they really can't wait until spring but they can go beg for an extension for oil buddies?
                well there was lots of $12 rent here plus approx $11 rent , total $23 /ac .in the eighties . we were paying $45 and competing with that shit . sorry no sympathy here

Comment

Case as I mentioned before rents were the same, some higher, some lower in our area. Better land that was well drained and more open was more obviously and the reverse if lower.
                  I don t know your situation but I can tell you if anyone here was paying 45 dollars in the 80s they probably had rocks in the head, had a rich inheritance and played a big wheel for a few years etc. etc.Not suggesting that of you but in our area that was the situation.

Anyhow that is totally irrelevant for what the situation is today. People have an agreement for a certain price over a certain time and plan their farms accordingly. Do you have private agreements for renting land? What would you tell the landlord if they showed up one day because they were broke and said hey you know what I want to sell and and if you don t buy I m charging you a 45% premium on your rent? You d likely say maybe not as politely as sorry we have a legal agreement right! Many farms have long term commitments based on the renting of this land. This will force many farmers out of the picture totally. Honestly it will .

With the 45% surcharge to balance the provincial budget will mean some rents will be double what private rental agreements are going for. And in turn you know how that goes when these stupid amounts are set in place what do you think the private rates are going to do? How many times on here have you and others stated that the stupid high rents don't work? Well trust me the government is the one causeing the stupid high rents in this case. But as bucket said and I ve done some research into this much of the land that farmers could not pay the rent and then sold the land has gone to the ag capital bunch etc.

The main point even further to the price is the fact that at this point all people are asking is for some breathing space since the crop was not able to be harvested. Practically door to door people are owed money by crap insurance but will not be paid until spring when crop is officially destroyed. I don't know of a single case of private renters that haven't been able to work something out with their landlords.
                  So in short the landlord(government) owes farmers money but wont pay until spring and they are at the same time imposing 45% screw job on rent or farmers lose the land. If that doesn't stink to high heaven
                  I don t know what is.
                  There are certain times when people nned to have an open mind and weigh out the facts and this is one of them. If the Ndp were in power they d be blasted to china for this. Myself included doing the blasting.

And to answer Seabass question on harvested acres, you know I think there may be one other person on here that hasn t posted for awhile that can relate to what the real definition of wet is. Its not 12% or 14% or even untestable canola its weather you can get to the bloody field and if you get there can you actually move down the swaths. That was not possible. Testers were only used when the drying of the grain started. If you could move and the grain was coming in the tank you just harvested. This area had 4 inches then 3 inches then 1inch every 3rd or 4th day starting actually some in july and never quit some areas. Yards are fkd, roads are fkd totally. there were guys hauling grain off the fields that they could go on hauling the grain out with a grain cart 9 miles to the main grid because you couldn't get there with a truck. then after one guy did that for a day and then it rained 3 inches those ruts on the road were filled and then the carts wouldn't even stay on the road.

Comment

Riders you still failed to put a $ value on the rent ARE you ashamed to state how much per acre you pay ??? We all have bills and some dont have sweetheart deals. I dont know what the deal on crown is in sask but I do know its a real cake walk here in Alta. Then you throw in resource revenue and you have EDEN.

Comment

Thats the shits riders. Never was that bad here in Sept but Oct the sun shone 3 days. Just to give u an example of land rent here. Neighbor shutter down this fall 6-7000 acres owned. Avg 105 bucks then u rent the bins. Holy shit things are getting ridiculous. Grain prices must be gonna rise.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...