• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conservation and Development Projects... (controlled drainage)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conservation and Development Projects... (controlled drainage)

Is anyone involved in one of these organizations or have their land levied by one?
    Has anyone bought land that is in a C&D designated area?
    How much per quarter, or per acre, is the levy?
    Has your C&D borrowed money for any work or capital project?
    Has your C&D ever had a civil liability for damages, either within the designated area or down stream, filed against it?
    Are people within the designated area applying for permits to drain their property.
    Is drainage being conducted in a contolled fashion or do people think it's a "pull the plug and drain the tub" mentality without any regard for organized drainage within the area.
    Has the C&D split the community or caused ill feelings amounst neighbours and people?
    Have personal interests been put aside?
    Has anyone been annexed into one against their will?
    Has anyone had property expropriated for the construction of a vital part of a project against their will?
    Does everyone realize the power the C&D possesses and "opting" out is very onerous if the Authority "thinks" your land "will" benefit from being included even if there is little chance for benefit or the works created on it would be almost a bigger hindrance than the relief from drainage?
    Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 23, 2016, 07:02.

Wascana Basin including land from around Riceton/Lajord to Regina has drainage projects and levies are added to taxes. Some of the land also drains south -east to the Souris basin. I am not sure if everyone pays the same amount and haven't kept track if it changes over time, but Rod at the RM office at Lajord could tell you.

Comment

I have land in a designated area and the levies are around .50 per acre.

Comment

Wow....there are either very few exsisting C&D projects, or they are running extremely smoothly and everyone is happy(tell me anyway) or nobody likes to discuss drainage because no one is doing it or doing it legally...

Elephant in the room?!?!?

By the way, thanks to those who did contribute.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 23, 2016, 21:18.

Comment

They work great if cleaned over the yrs..also designed for x amount of acres..but the large farms with track hoes have screwed ours up.
          To much water for the small ditch.

Comment

I believe going forward the larger scale projects are going to be the norm. where several farmers in a district want to drain, planning and cooperation are of the upmost importance. The water security agency are very active now in facilitating this. We went so long with little oversight unless there was severe complained and even then it was slow. Now drainage is official ok but get a plan signed off on and stick to it.

Comment

I would be curious what levy other areas pay? Here we haven't done any big projects other than fix a few washouts and try to get the ditches mowed every summer. Since most of our ditches are 40 years old they need to have the silt cleaned out which will be costly. Sask Water Security Agency has helped with funding projects in the past but they don't have the funds like they once did or it is just more projects need funding. Most of our water we can get it into the Carrot River system and over all are ditches work good.

Comment

Very early stages here...just beginning. About $60/quarter or more accurately 37.5 cents per acre. Very poorly presented....everyone got a hardon when they heard the word drainage but I bet 95% of the people who signed the petition had no idea what they "agreed" to.

I asked tonnes of questions with my opening post, I was hoping for a greater response.

Comment

I don't think our C&D has ever borrowed for anything. The work was done in the late 60 and early 70 with farmer doing most of the work with small tractors and small sc****rs. There has been the odd blow up when someone would get mad and then the whole board would quit and some others would take their place. I don't think they have ever had any legal trouble that I have heard about.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    Very early stages here...just beginning. About $60/quarter or more accurately 37.5 cents per acre. Very poorly presented....everyone got a hardon when they heard the word drainage but I bet 95% of the people who signed the petition had no idea what they "agreed" to.

I asked tonnes of questions with my opening post, I was hoping for a greater response.
                    With the cost of things today I don't think you will get far with .37 cents. unless your drainage area is huge compared to the miles of ditch you are going to construct.
                    Last edited by seldomseen; Nov 24, 2016, 19:39.

Comment

As of today they are levying on approximately 187 quarters and collecting only about $11,000. A joke.

Comment

We cleaned the silt out of two miles of ditch with a track hoe and that's about what it cost. Farmers with sc****rs would do it for a lot less if the water would stop running.
                        Last edited by seldomseen; Nov 24, 2016, 19:40.

Comment

In the 50's the "gov" paid 75% for new construction. It was SO WET that draglines were used and YES money was borrowed then. That got scaled back over the years to 50% for maintenance only, IF they have money. Rarely have enough funds in WSA. AS far I I know there will be NO new construction due the environmental issues. All we can do is MOW grass. Touch the dirt and Environment needs to okay it. Even the fish are more important. Agree the "BIG" guys are f*cking it all up with a line of construction machinery and NO regard for permits or neighbors.

Comment

This is going to be an insurmountable monumental task. The natural water run crosses a highway, railroad and a six pipe pipeline corridor SEVERAL times(of which all three run parallel to each other). Lowering culverts and having dirt removed from the top of the pipelines will be almost impossible, all on a levied budget of $11, 000 and MAYBE some unbankable grants from time to time. God help us! The board assured us no money will be borrowed....lol, are you kidding me?

This whole thing is going to turn into a cluster****. The RM down stream isn't very thrilled. People may think this is a "pull the plug and drain the tub" exercise....boy are they mistaken.

I brought up the fact that the Water Security Agency approves all the works but will not even be jointly liable for them.....the C&D supposedly "owns" the works.

People have no idea what they signed on to.....
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 25, 2016, 14:19.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...