• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6780.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	777377

Well the weather changed for the better in part of the province and we finally were able to complete the Harvest from Hell that turned into the Miracle of November.

I would say our area got to 98% done. Their is a large area of oats that wont be harvested and the guy we were helping harvest will have a quarter of poor barley left out. Some oats will be swath grazed as its sprouted shit. Some swath barley the same. Odd canola and Flax field.

Funny the HRS i harvested two nights ago still had some red colour. It was standing. Brought the combines home so I feel the door is shutting on harvest 2016.

Name:	IMG_6815.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	777379

Fields are mud holes and extremely wet. If its a normal snow fall next spring will not be nice. Markets better realize acres will be lost in most of the province. Mud holes at freeze up are wet shit that wont be seeded in spring of 2017. Most areas are going into freeze up with soaked rutted mess.

We so far have been able to concentrate on getting some fields worked before winter. Best yields in 2016 were on fields either burnt black or worked in fall of 15. We hit the 1/3 mark for fall work last night. but this week looks rather cool and as ground starts to freeze its almost time to park the disk.

Very little fall banding took place but our area really doesn't get into that. Looking at the pros and cons of fall Broadcasting Super U or 46 and then in spring just pull the drill without the Ammonia to help with seeding in mud.

Name:	IMG_6804.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	777378

So as the door is starting to shut on 2016 we will have one final crop report next Thursday. It will be based on yields and final out come. Both Manitoba and Sask dropped crop reports about a month back as Government employees never understand its not over till its over. City people are funny sun comes out and must have been a great harvest day. Ah it rained the night before AGRIBITION is almost here and that week can be real nice or cold as hell.

So to all who finished early good on you. To those that needed the Miracle of November good on you. and to those still struggling with the harvest its not over till its over and keep trying. Were all pulling for you.

Some this winter will have real struggles with making ends meet, having huge amounts of crop out isn't fun both financially and on the mind. Don't beat your self up trying to figure out if you would of went one extra hour later each night or went on that one sunny day it was 22 moisture. I have had crops out before. Early when I started almost sent me over the end. This fall was scary as 1/3 of the crop still out from October 1st right to Nov. its a sickening feeling. But talking and planning early if it happens can help.

So be safe every one and remember its only a crop that they will take. Hell fertilizer they tell me is going up, book your seed, buy some more land and get that new tractor or combines etc etc. All phone calls i have gotten since our harvest ended. our Suppliers are like piranha.

75% done here east of Edmonton. Have aeration bin full of damp canola. Wonder how that will turn out. Harvest being slowly chipped away at in this area but nothing has been dry since the end of Sept here. Will be fun trying to get this stuff dried in time. I would say around 15% still left around here.

Comment

Always liked the looks of the tire size chosen for the back of the old 2 banger row crops.

Wonder why on earth 18.4 X 38's found their way onto 4440's

Finished harvest but will not be getting too far with land prep for next spring

Comment

Great report SF3.
        Can you spread Super U it if you have a few inches of snow snow, with minimal losses??

Mud has beat up a lot of producers including myself in NE Sask. Geese, ducks and trespassers driving on crops were the other headache. Ground was just getting firm enough but 3" of snow came Wednsday morning.

Did finish canola and canary seed in November 10-15 stretch so thankful for that.

Comment

Yea i think its ok to spread on snow but with all this rain and water it seems to me that leaching will happen also gas off and row might not close with Ammonia.

Comment

N might runoff or escape to atmosphere. Can't leech downward because subsoil is FULL to the surface. Wicked compaction in fields combined in Nov, same if tilled now. A layer of impermeable concrete about 8" down. All V ditching guys say can't go 8", need to get under that, 12-15 min.
            Hoping for COLD HARD FROST without insulating snow to fracture that!

Comment

Name:	IMG_6884.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	765243

Name:	IMG_6885.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	765242

Just a little look at the ruts were trying to get rid of in the fields thanks to harvest from hell.

Comment

Congratulations SF3.
                You are a very persistent and impressive farmer, I enjoy your crop report posts.

I am happy you have finished. This has been a tough year for many.
                We are looking over our yields and it is disappointing because of the weather, not our planning and efforts. 2016 will go down as one of our tougher years. We are luckier than most with some off farm revenue and other investments.

I hope everyone can finish off and realize you can only manage certain things, a lot is out of your control.

Best wishes,

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...