• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veterans and signing up

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterans and signing up

See a post below thought id give another peter anacdote all true.

Grandfather and his 3 brothers went to the great war and ww1 only grandpa came back.

My father signed up for ww2.

He had 100% vision in left eye and about 30% in his right eye from birth.

Got to medical and the eye testing he kept getting close to front of line befor going to the back.

Logic was to give him time to memorize eye chart.

Came to time to do eye test with his dud eye got it 100% now thats commitment to king and country.

Rear gunner radio operator shot down in baltic sea after 15 months training in australia canada and uk. On his first mission as well had to parachute out with inflatable raft. Jerrys found them next morning floating about, 11 out of the 12 survived the crash landing/parachute evacuation.

Had a few years touring germany and various pow camps.

Involved in infamous "run up the road" if anyone wants to google it.

One of there guards was jailed for war crimes another "big stoop" was beheaded on day of liberation no one is quite sure how it happened and no one was ever blamed or had to face recrimination.
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Nov 12, 2016, 16:20.

My Grandad memorized the eye chart to get in too. Was in engineering corps, but wanted to see action, so insisted he be sent oversees. Volunteered for essentially a suicide mission near Caen France, disabling landmines in broad daylight because the plan had changed. His comrades volunteered to go with him since he was "lucky" , he alone survived, but had to wait till dark and crawl back with legs badly shot. Rarely talked about it, but did say he would do it all over again. Met my Grandmother at a convalescence hospital in Vancouver.

Comment

Both of these posts are very very interesting. Thank you. pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...