• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vote vote vote

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vote vote vote

In your mailbox are several ballots for directors of producer associations who invest your levy dollars, and influence the future of the industry. Statistics reveal that as a % of registered voters pitiful few send back their votes: VOTE.

The process of online voting is quite simple, be engaged: VOTE.

I asked for my checkoffs back, wtf have these checkoffs actually paid for???? Trip to resort locations to discuss how best to spend your hard earned money???? Send more money to the seed companies and upov91??? Keep your hands out of my pockets!!!I will take the money I got back and take my family on a vacation!! Way better investment in my opinion.

Comment

I never let the canola growers take my money i claim back every cent.

Comment

Claimed back wht.and canola this yr.what a chunk of change!!

Comment

Better to have us opt in than ask for it back after a year?
          Rest of the chain can pay, they make the risk free $$.
          Better consumers, they get CHEAP food!

Comment

Oh and if you don't call in to confirm they received your application to get your money back they say they never got it. And then you're past the deadline to "apply for YOUR MONEY back".

Comment

#getridoffreeloaders

Comment

There is a saying: he who pays the piper, calls the tune, or should. Given the expression of frustration, and the growing interest in refundable levy, (SPG had this motion at the last annual meeting the BOD will report back this annual meeting and advise their deliberations) the frustration comes from the lack of transparency and accountability. For those who want to know how the money is being spend, what the money is being spend on, how the votes went (ie; who supported the niche market tender renewals) we should be able to with public minutes.

I personally support the idea of grower investing in their industry and directing and being involved in development, but not without transparency and accountability. Having been on an associations, I support that all associations minutes be public, and made public within one week of the meeting date to all levy paying members.

As for the levy, there are great benefits in being able to invest, and drive your industry, the kicker is who and how. Indeed the process of transparency, accountability is one that needs to improve. Get involved, find solutions, drive the agenda, but always invest in growth.

I am going to suggest a good place to start is with private money, ours, there should be public minutes, and accountable votes. It is our money, show us how it is spent and the decisions which determine how it is spent.

Comment

The way Crop Sphere works now its a easy way to attend all of the annual meetings where one is paying checkoff. I have always been a supporter of checkoff to invest in R and D. I was at the Sask pulse and did vote for the resolution to have a refundable checkoff. I see great value in commodity groups and feel for the most part that they invest my checkoff well. I am unhappy when it looks to have the old CWB debate being continued in some groups. That might be a deal breaker for me keeping my money in. I do know one thing, our competitors in the US, Australia and elsewhere have checkoffs as well.

Comment

If those that don't pay the producer group levies want the seed varieties, R and D to go private, like the canola seed, soybeans,corn, wheat, etc expect to pay much more, at a much bigger long term net cost, talking specifically about the pulse industry.

"Penny wise and pound foolish". Remember that, write it on the door as you leave to work every day.

Very unfortunate!

Comment

The pulse industry has been and is huge for our province. The R&D design has been bang-on in producing varieties that are marketable. The vision of many like Slinkard, Bert, Farley many more adventurous growers, seed plants and processors have built a mighty fine ship and to them we are eternally grateful. That is not to say that we don't have a resposibilty to hold the Pulse Board accountable and true to its providers.

Comment

I agree, the pulse groups do a job on r&d new, new affordable varieties, etc. Now compare that to canola. seed costs up up up, more disease, more insects, seed treatments that dont work, varieties with no improvement for excess moisture tolerance. Terrible performance in my opinion

Comment

i pay them all, even the canola one,( considering the canola council has sold us out on various occasions) and their political stripe is different than mine.

i think they should be all mandatory, think what the pulse levy has done for us.
                          if i can gag and pay the canola one,
                          where are the rest of you?

if you want to cheap out now, i am sure the seed co.s will jump in and charge 10 times as much.

Comment

A Story about lentils: green lentils.

This is the story as I know it:
                            The idea was the brainchild of Dr. Bert Vandenberg: he visioned that green lentil being should be used as a dall in India. As a result, SPG funds research in India how to cook green lentil dall, well turns out it not only cooks quicker, a lentil is much easier to decorticate than a pigeon peas. Today's growing green lentil demand in India is a driving force in the green lentil market. It is in fact a market for any yellow cotyledon lentil: French, black, Small, medium & large. And given that the lentils are split, this market supports all grades not just top grades as was traditional in this market.

Take an idea of merit, invest and grow the market. Levy dollars let producers see the value and spend the money. Invest in growth, always.

The success story we have is largely due to an invested producer, invested in funding knowledge and growth at home and at large. I voted for a mandatory levy. In turn I support accountability and transparency, as part of the due diligence that keeps producers engaged & supporting the process.

Comment

Please, find your ballots and vote.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...