• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For grassfarmer ....dairy industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then the dairy industry unloads their culls and byproducts into the non sm beef market l wonder how that is factored into the return on investment formula.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post

....Not picking on P and H but there a lots of these massive investor owned poultry operations that aren't "lifestyle" farms so why would consumers subsidize them. Nothing against big farms, just saying supply mgmt has run its course time for a revamp
      Not subsidized, their entire income comes from the marketplace. And lets not even claim chicken is too dear for the poor consumer. If it was any cheaper they'd be giving the stuff away.

I don't suggest we pull the pin tomorrow with out compensation but a huge package for dairy because of potentially allowing up to 4% cheese imports wow brutal
      Not a huge package by any standards - @$20,000 per farm potentially and I'm assuming this is a one off, not a yearly payment.
      The 4% is significant if you understand how imports can be used to manipulate market prices. Happened all the time in the UK with beef imports - only needed a very small amount of Brazilian product to destabilize the whole marketplace.

From Sylvain Charlebois the guy whose opinion piece I pasted a couple of weeks back - an "expert" in the field and a strong proponent of ending SM:
      "CETA will allow thousands of kilograms of cheese to enter the Canadian market, exempt from tariffs.
      This influx of products represents about 2 per cent of Canada’s milk production that will no longer be needed. This figure may not seem like much to the average person, but CETA does in fact create a significant breach in the quota system – a change that in turn will destabilize Canada’s entire agricultural system."

I'd be interested in hearing how he thinks it will destabilize the rest of Canadian agriculture - anybody else?

With Food Freedom Day being February 9th this year (the day by which the average Canadian has earned enough to pay for their whole year's food) what's your objective in getting rid of SM other than pure jealousy? move Food Freedom Day up to January 31st and have everyone in agriculture doing poorly?

Comment

I was once a milk farmer when this quota thing evolved and the problem with SM is that the quota price should never have been blended into the cost of milk App 30 yr ago quota was around $10/ litre what is it now I dont know but some have made millionss and all from increasae in quota pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
          I was once a milk farmer when this quota thing evolved and the problem with SM is that the quota price should never have been blended into the cost of milk App 30 yr ago quota was around $10/ litre what is it now I dont know but some have made millionss and all from increasae in quota pricing.
          Exactly,

Comment

Grass, so the dairy farmer gets 20,000 and up from the gov for nothing already getting overpaid for their milk thats why quota is so valuable dairy farmers bidding excess profits towards quota... meanwhile the rest of the ag industry is about to get tru****ed by a carbon tax

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
              We know that's a problem but what is the solution? Scrapping SM altogether doesn't seem like a smart one. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Grass, so the dairy farmer gets 20,000 and up from the gov for nothing already getting overpaid for their milk thats why quota is so valuable dairy farmers bidding excess profits towards quota... meanwhile the rest of the ag industry is about to get tru****ed by a carbon tax
              Not for nothing it's in anticipation of them having to face significantly tougher times ahead - like the Western Grain Transition Program grain farmers benefitted from in the 90's. Remember too that SM farmers don't get Agriinvest or AgriStability. Carbon tax will affect them too so no difference there.

Comment

SM has to go and now again a grant of 20000 to already guaranteed profit for quota system farming
                in Montana milkprice way lower than Canada and no quata !
                Holland just dropped the milk quota for the better!
                milk producer have monopoly I was told by our local super store and cosco !
                half butter half margarine took out off the cooler , because lost some butter share sm claimed how stupid !

this to consumer
                Europe biggest sellar half /half mix .
                can anybody afford the millions paid for to get starting milking 50 cows, because at 60 cows all are installing milk robot cost plus adding on

Comment

Originally posted by ag-boy View Post
                  Holland just dropped the milk quota for the better!
                  Er, no actually Holland like the rest of Europe scrapped milk quotas April first and the price they received for milk collapsed. Lots of dairies bankrupt in Europe. Price in the stores didn't move downwards though.

Comment

milk price mutch lower in Holland than here in Canada ! we have to pay for the high quota price here.
                    of course Europa never had those stupid high milk quota prices!
                    just returnd from Montana again 4 ltr milk 1.58 o 2 dollar lower, this tells me milk a nd chicken s/m has to go !!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...