• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McDonald's sue Florence.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McDonald's sue Florence.

Not quite sure what kind of trade agreement exists between the US and Italy but the following case highlights the type of thing we can expect to see under the ISDS rules that are written into all the trade agreements like CETA and TPP. Just ridiculous in my opinion - who thinks that McDonalds have a "right" to open an outlet wherever they want?

[URL="http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37910431"]http://http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37910431[/URL]

So they make a set of rules, McDonald's adapts and changes to accommodate the new set of rules and they still reject them based on what? Sorry but it seems to me that they are perfectly justified in suing.

There is nothing worse for business and society then having an ever changing set of rules that are based on the whim of a bureaucrat. I have no problem with some regulation, but if said company follows the regulations don't change the goal markers on a whim. How the hell is one supposed to run a business when the rules are changed. For effective gov't, we must have clear rules and boundaries, but allow everyone to see what the rules are so we can plan and adapt. When we allow bureaucrats to make and administer the rules as they see fit, it leads to a serious lack of confidence, corruption, and gov't cronyism.

Comment

Agree that purpose of trade agreements is to establish rules.
      McDonalds within their rights to sue.

Comment

I wasn't so much highlighting the decision process that denied them the right to open a restaurant there, rather the fact that they think they can sue for unearned income. Bear in mind this is a company from a different country, on a different continent that wants to come in and set up in business. As such I think the city, or country for that matter would be within its rights to refuse such an application with no reason given.
        If a sex shop or liquor store applies to set up in business next door to a nursery school and the local authority denies them permission do you reckon they should be allowed to bilk the taxpayer for unearned income? There is no automatic right for any of us to be allowed to set up any kind of business wherever we want and if permission is denied someone owes us compensation. That's not free enterprise - that's the kind of bullying, high handed entitlement that someone like Donald Trump practices and exemplifies.

"Mr farmer we'd like to build a toxic chemical plant on one of your quarters"

"Sorry, I don't like that idea and I don't want to sell any of my land"

"OK, we are going to sue you for $20 million that we expected to earn by building this plant on your land"

Comment

Ridiculous example.

Grassy, so you're good with discrimination?

Comment

grassy, that example would be akin to saying English expats are allowed to farm in Canada, but then when you have your biz plan, regulatory hurdles, and immigration sorted, they tell you... but wait, there's more.

And you do that, and then.... but wait, there's more.

And then finally, nah, you're not Canadian, we don't want ya here. srykthnxbye.

They are well within their rights...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...