• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bio - Sul

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bio - Sul

Going to try 450 acres this fall if they show up. Anyone on here familiar with it?
    At $.26 a pound / ac for sulfur over 5 years we thought we would try it .
    Hearing lots of positive results .
    Been mostly used in southern Alberta - Calgary area the past 3-4 years .
    Very interesting product , I have been following it the past year or so .

I think it is some sort of industrial waste product from the oil and gas industry which is then mixed with a bit of compost. I think it is 75-80 percent sulfur and about 10 percent compost not sure what the other ~10 percent is

Comment

Bio-Sul is very interesting. I love the concept using compost mixed with sulphur stripped off the oil biz.

We have a quarter applied already. Would have done more but most of our canola is on rented land and given that it lasts longer than the term of the leases we're not using it without certainty of tenure.

Carlyle's applied ours and did a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
        I think it is some sort of industrial waste product from the oil and gas industry which is then mixed with a bit of compost. I think it is 75-80 percent sulfur and about 10 percent compost not sure what the other ~10 percent is
        And I could be wrong about the sulfur component being an industrial waste product, Someone please correct me if I am.

Comment

No, it's organic waste compost from grocery stores as the active carrier. From waste produce

Comment

Ahh , sorry I am wrong - your right on the sulfur part from industry waste

Comment

Is it $.26/actual pound? does that include application? Seems expensive for elemental. AMS in only .35 right now and far superior product

Comment

Is this a similar program as the back to your roots agronomy package?

Comment

This is what's at the composting site outside of Acme is it not? Big green piles.

Comment

I believe the sulfur they start with needs the compost as a carrier for even distribution and to lose combustability. Pencils here over 5 yrs. But only on owned. Cancelled this years. OM a tiny bonus.

Comment

Is that what they are spreading near Foam lake?

Comment

I wanted to get some applied, but there is no one available in north east Saskatchewan. They wanted me to buy a spreader to do my own. I was game until I priced one out, holy hell are they expensive.

Comment

My understanding is that they use chunky raw sulphur. The bugs in the compost do a great job of dissolving some of the raw sulphur and you get a real nice amount available immediately. The problem comes once spread in your field. These large lumps of raw sulphur do not break down very readily.

My take on it is that you will have much more sulphur released from surface spreading an elemental product like T90 over the 10 year term than you will with the bio-sul, because the T90 is all ground to microscopic proportions. Short term with T90 you could have a shortage of sulphur in your crop.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...