• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1108.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	777361

This was the hardest crop report I had to write in a long time. When you lose a friend, family member or aquaitance or a fellow long time blogger it takes something out of what you do each day. You know you will never see them again, read whats going on or get a text or phone call discussing almost every thing you could think of.
    So this crop report is in honour of our friend ( Cotton) who passed this week! the Sun will be shinning down on the farmers in Western Canada, The Rain Clouds and snow will move on, The markets will finally realize maybe it wasn't that huge of a crop and you my friend will finally be at peace. RIP Chad!

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e2.jpg
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	777362

Harvest for the month of October moved at a snails pace. Crop was harvested in a few areas that had min rain or snow events. After some travel in Saskatchewan and reports from guys flying in the air over the three provinces something is definitely wrong with how the Gov Ag departments tell us the Crop report. Man says its done reporting, Sask is done till November and Alberta has one more. They all say 20% is left. Well from my observations and others on the ground and air. All three levels of government are full of shit. 35% maybe close to reality. We harvested 20% moisture canola on every possible day we could go in October, Dried it down to dry and only will get to 22% left tonight. Its a slow process at this time of year.

This next week will help but here for all the city guys who read this is some facts.

1. Just because the sun comes out in Regina that doesn't mean its dry and a good excellent day to harvest.
    2. Some need three nice days to just get into the fields others need almost a week.
    3. November is short days and wet ground so harvesting 24hr a day is not going to happen.
    4.Wet fields mean stuck, combines carts and semis. Pull tractors are needed.
    5. One rouge shower streaming through a area and your back to square one.
    6. Heavy frost in morning and you sit till noon.
    7. Dew and you sit till noon.
    8. swaths of standing in water. dip the header to low and its game over.
    9. No wind and you wait till noon.
    10. Its mother nature the bitch can turn on a dime.
    So basically lots will bet harvested but lots might still spend winter in the fields.

Name:	IMG_6618.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	777363

So every one be safe out their and remember its only a crop, and the ones at home are way more important than any crop.

The grain companies will get their share in due time.

What are others seeing in their neck of the woods please share and lets get at it.

This is a morning headline and we haven't even fired up the combines yet. What a crock of shit.

Canola Losses Likely To Continue
    The canola market declined recently, and those losses are likely to continue, one Winnipeg-based analyst says, in a post on agcanada.com.
    “This is going to be dominated by (Tue.’s) reversal in the canola, and the weather,” said Ken Ball of PI Financial Corp. Canola on Tue. lost between $8 and $9 in front contracts, which shifted the market’s technical bias to the downside.
    “Canola could lose a lot of ground if we happen to get lucky for a couple weeks with the weather,” Ball said.

Comment

I was hauling in canola that was harvested a week ago, the bushel weight was 49.9lbs. What I had combined from the same field before the snow was in the 53-54lb range, so a 7-8% loss on bushel weight alone. Even if all the canola comes off this crop is getting smaller.

We are in a fairly lucky area with most guys done or close to it, most should get done this weekend if they don't mind taking it extremely tough.

Even though I don't always agree you SF3 I enjoy your posts and discussion

Comment

Thank you SF3 for the tribute. To lose Hopper and Cotton in such a short time is a blow to us, but to see your post this morning "Friday Crop Report on Thursday" was so welcome. We will continue on and overcome, because we are who we are and we know that life is good and we all can make it even better - and we can count on SF3 for our weekly report. So lets wait for that free grain dryer to blow like ninety bears so we can get her done.We have a good day maybe two, depending on extenuating circumstances. We want that Canola dry as a f.....👍

Comment

Agriville reminds me of extended family. You have the drunk uncle, the bossy aunt, the sick grandma, the old fart, the young wiper snapper the horny teen, the traveler, the stay at home work aholic, the teacher the student.
          But when you lose one it really hits home, Yes first hopper and now Cotton.
          To lots of us this is our daily place to vent discuss and friendships have developed. I like to stir the pot. Yes our area has had issues and this fall is no different, yes I have done well but I always try to speak for all farmers in the area on what is going on and what is happening out in our neck of the woods.

I think Agriville is therapy for a lot, your wife or family don't really care some days if it rained again, but a text to a fellow agriville and maybe a smart ass comment back sends you back to reality real quick. So I hope new people keep joining this farm forum as farmers need a place to meet and discuss and maybe some cheap therapy for all. Post on.

Comment

I still have 200 hundred acers of green feed to bail that was cut in September, tried the rake on it yesterday and it was balling up to much mud and leaving the bottom of the swath that's still soaking wet, guess ill need a few more days of sun and wind.

Comment

Nothing is going on. Rain two days ago. Fogged in now. Might go and look around on Saturday

Reality is it is November and it is soaking wet. I think that is all the info a guy needs to make an assessment of how much crop is going to come off in this upcoming week.

Comment

Gotta remain grateful and positive but they already took four or five degrees off what was a long term forecast of the weekend highs. I think they were talking 18 and 19 a while ago but are now down to 14... better than the possible alternative though. Were they "overly optimistic"?

Good luck fellas...

Comment

My harvest activity in last month amounted to helping a neighbor take off 2 B-trains of mid 15 canola to fill a contract that dried the canola at one elevator then shipped it to the crusher. Other than that haven't turned a wheel since Sept 30. Still 25% left hoping to go Friday or Saturday on the canola. Our area east of Red deer probably between 30-40% left out. On the plus side our combines can travel in the fields, trucks have to stay at the gate though.

Comment

Nothing has changed here since last Thursday . Last week a few guys got limited acres off in some areas.
                    Fog and 120% humidity this morning .
                    It is a SE wind and "sunny days ahead" are still forecast
                    Let's hope we get at least 2 weeks of warmer days with sun and some wind - we all need it badly before winter does close in .
                    We are hoping to get back on the coulter harrows later today and give er , need about 4-5 days to cover every acre left.
                    Will be nice to have every acre covered and ready for seeding .
                    Should be a lot of fert and edge / treflan spread in this area the next 10-14 days of this weather does materialize.
                    Fields are wet but not nearly as bad as a lot of areas.

Comment

farming101, you nailed it,

"Reality is it is November and it is soaking wet. I think that is all the info a guy needs to make an assessment of how much crop is going to come off in this upcoming week."

SF3, do you have more than 20% of your seeded farm to harvest yet? I thought you were down to just a couple days?

Comment

P.S.
                        kudos SF3 for your tribute and sun bursting pic. Ya, the sun will still come up.

Appreciated pars "notice post" stayed at the top with no new threads for the day.

Thanks Agriville admin for removing that jackhole thread posted late last night.

Comment

Yea some days I post quarters then some percentage! I hope to get to 14 quarters left tonight! We did 1000 acres roughly in October and dried it all

Comment

Saskfarmer you hit the nail on head with the post of the city view of farmers, always enjoy your posts don't always agree but do enjoy them. Here is hoping everyone can get there crop off in November, Be safe everyone.

Comment

So foggy this mornnng it's sickening! Short day today as really wet

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...