• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide basis cost farmers billions?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your absolutely right sawfly. My grandfather told me before he died to becareful what u wish for. Meaning having the CWB gone. There was a reason farmers like him helped start the pools. Now were back to square one again. Greedy JRI and all the others.

Comment

It sucks that farmers can't keep more of the pie but be careful asking for transparency and regulation. I don't think too many farmers want to show their books to the world and justify or limit profit margins on good years. Like it or not we need the system a lot more than the system needs the individual farmer. I know it isn't that easy sometimes but if you don't like the basis either suck it up or find your own market. All our wheat (cps) and barley goes feed regardless of grade lots trucked 10 or 12 hours away and always amazes me that we net more than No 1 prices at our local elevators yet they are always full and out a couple months for delivery.

Comment

Feed lots can't eat ALL the grain, it works for a few not for all of us. Check cattle returns now, turned to crap also. They charge/discount because they CAN. Money talks, they set the rules, we have no power/votes, the 2% of population do not matter till "they" are hungry. World is a wash in grains/oil seeds, looks hopeless to turn around. 98% are happy with the surplus!

Comment

Some so called expert that has never been outside winnipeg tells you that the grain co's stole 3.5 billion from you, and you believe it hook line and sinker?? Give me a break!

Comment

it was pretty obvious with the world and port prices taken into account .
            we all saw it at the time.
            an extra $ a bushel off everything.

i am not saying the businesses are evil for taking advantage the situation.

that is their job.

we farmers failed at our job, by not protecting our own interests in the system.
            believing in the ( wheat growers / corporate interests) BS .

being fools to put it mildly .

and the fault for the rail crisis, that caused this giant windfall for the grain co.s
            lies entirely with the federal govt.

what govt. in its right mind , has no plan to get its nations exports to market and had no system to even monitor it.
            pathetic

Conservative and liberals harp about how we need free trade,
            what is the point when they have no plan to get what we sell now , to the port.

and to top it off , what they peddle as free trade is actually just a transfer of power
            from nations to corporations

Comment

You seem to forget the big spread between port prices and your cwb chq. Huge difference. If you can market canola and bly. you can market wht. Not sure why some blindly followed the--- and believed all their propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by stonepicker View Post
                You seem to forget the big spread between port prices and your cwb chq. Huge difference.
                Good point, could you give us a comparison between then and now? I've been searching and can't find that info to share.

Comment

No i'm not going to take the time to try to find a comparison. What i find funny is the --- always bragged about how little per bus. it cost the farmer for them to market our grain. Where did all the money go then? One positive that did come out of all those decades of poor prices, was the canola industry was born in western canada. ( it paid the bills )

Comment

Doesn't look like the trend was down..

Click image for larger version

Name:	CGC historic transportation costs.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	765193
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	CWB export costs chart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	765194