• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CGC harvest survey

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGC harvest survey

What do you send into CGC for harvest survey samples? Do you send random samples or pick samples you are not sure of and want grade on, do you send in samples that you know are top or bottom grades?

Just trying to figure out how good of an over all view it represents. I know elevators send samples too but wonder how accurate they send also. Kinda like phone survey results not so sure they truely represent what is actually out there.

We make large representative samples used to market our grain.

We participate in the Harvest Sample Program. We will send Wheat, Durum, Canola, Flax, sometimes pulses. We keep track of which samples were sent to the Harvest Sample Program and then even send some of the same to the CGC for an official grade(only cereals).

This fall we have delivered samples to up to 8 terminals, sent some to the CGC Harvest Sample Program and for Official Grades.... results can be all over the map, too inconsistent...unrepeatable accuracy!!

And that's why the grading doesn't seem credible at times. You are going to love this comment wmoeibis.... too subjective! And what are they picking, 10, 50 or 100 gram samples? It takes time to pick 100 grams for fusarium damage. What is and isn't damage? Ergot picking is way easier but is a complete luck of the grab. So if ergot can be "the luck of the grab",..... can't fusarium?

Some grain companies typically consistently grade harder than others and never call back saying we can do better therefore removing themselves as an option for delivery. I am so grateful and lucky to be within about 50 miles of many delivery options. I don't want to drive any further than I have to but if it pencils out in my favor.... it's a no brainer.

Does anyone think there is absolutely any bias when you let the Buyer grade their potential purchase? Or has the Industry moved beyond that charade? All the insulting misnomers used to describe grain "Producers" , which I refuse to list here, are slowly becoming a thing of the past. Information and knowledge is leveling the playing field, we are becoming more sophisticated and informed and we don't all have to fall for the bullshit we are fed.

Then there's the marketing "schemes" and one sided contracts....

Comment

Not subjective at all. Clearly described what to assess and proper procedures in assessment in guide. Fusarium is an objective grading factor. It is proper training, or lack of, that makes it seem to be subjective.

Fusarium damage (FUS DMG)
      Fusarium-damaged wheat is typically characterized by thin or shrunken chalk-like kernels. Fusarium-damaged kernels have a white or pinkish mould or fibrous growth.

Representative portion for analysis
      Minimum—10 g Optimum—100 g Export— 100 g

Procedures
      Using a Boerner-type divider, divide the representative portion.
      Separate all kernels showing any evidence of fusarium damage, including any kernels that have a chalk-like appearance.
      You may examine kernels using a 10-power magnifying lens to confirm evidence of a white or pinkish mould or fibrous growth. In determining fusarium damage, select only kernels with this white or pinkish mould or fibrous growth.

Comment

....and then when the tolerances are so low it doesn't take much to sway the results one way or the other.

Sorry for the derail. Put this train back on it's tracks....
        Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 29, 2016, 09:22.

Comment

we send in peas, flax, barley, wheat and oats . fus is the one that is all over ?

Comment

HVK in durum 81 at SGS, 21 at a line co. 0.6 Fus at SGS 2.1 at line co same pail. Lmfao, lineco wants another chance at grading it for me. When its a pair of eyeballs running the tweezers its subjective. The subjective method of grading is ripe with fraud! Its a joke really .6fus its a #3 but .5fus its a #1. CGC is in on it!
            Last edited by biglentil; Oct 29, 2016, 10:14.

Comment

Don't fret biglentil.....the inconsistency of visual fusarium picking is about to be replaced with the sure fire method of measuring vomitoxin in parts per million using a "QUICK TEST". That could be fraught with procedural errors. Too much/not enough solution added, poor cleaning of the grinder, re-using one-time-use supplies....human error!

Comment

farmaholic, think provincial grainco in Prince Edward Island was using colour strip test similar to what you describe two or three years ago.
                Seemed happy with it at that time, don't know if they still are.

Comment

I'm sure there are other test kit manufacturers and procedures. This equipment is about $3600U.S.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...