• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over wintered flax, standing or swath

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over wintered flax, standing or swath

We are fortunate for the most part in that we only have a few acres of flax left to combine. Who knows we may get at it or maybe not. We combined dry canola in 2010 after it being wet for a couple months so I'm still hopeful.
    For the guys that have had flax over winter before, is it better to be in the swath or standing?

Swath easy to burn in spring!

Comment

A guy said he had both.swth yielded better but sample not as good as standing.As far as deer goes there will be plenty of crop out to make it so nobody has a big problem.i am going to try getting mine swathed.at least in spring it will be easier on combine to harvest it.I am sure only thing burned will be what is in water.

Comment

Swathing might be better but mine is on the ground not swathed....it will burn either way. I have seen swaths roll up like a bale....still hopeful for november like 2009...
        Last edited by bucket; Oct 27, 2016, 09:59.

Comment

Think if it is a wide swath and rolled hard it will flatten out quick reducing chance of blowing.once we get snow and froze think it will stay put till spring.

Comment

I believe I would leave it standing.

The choice between a spring match on swathed , and the possibility of combining it at -15c if it's standing above the field snow seems to be better odds.

I've seen plenty Nov-Dec flax standing combined, none that was swathed.

Comment

Having done both, I would let it stand if it's standing decent and would swath it if it's pasted to the ground. We have straight cut flax in December with 4 inches of snow in the ground. If it's pasted to the ground, I'd swath it, and try and combine it when the temperature is about -10C or more, as it goes through the combine like shit through a goose and the snow and ice crystals don't stick to the sieves as bad as if it was warmer. Of course if there is a foot of snow , that would be a different story. Frozen flax will keep for awhile until you can dry it. Yup....still can remember plugging in the combine, and waiting until 8:00 PM to start combining when the temp went down until 8:00 AM in the morning when the sun came out. Tighten up the slip clutches and belts and Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                I believe I would leave it standing.

The choice between a spring match on swathed , and the possibility of combining it at -15c if it's standing above the field snow seems to be better odds.

I've seen plenty Nov-Dec flax standing combined, none that was swathed.
                I agree , we have experienced same with canary seed
                pretty sure it would be hard to swath unless froze , then u might combine it instead
                about 50% of time it is garbage in spring , I think standing fares better but bolls do drop off ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...