• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well what a week of excitement that maybe this shit show weather will change and give us farmers a chance . But no it pissed away and gave one day Friday and then Saturday rain and Sunday fog to finally harvesting again on Tuesday to end again at 7 with rain. Heavy to East of us 3/4 to 1.5 as it hit Manitoba. Things are getting desperate as grain is coming off at 21 for canola to guys with dryers and the rest have basically given up. Grain heats and aeration is useless at this time of year at that moisture.

One of the largest farm Auctions this year will take place on the 1st of November for Redland farms or as I liked to joke on here the Red Army. I really enjoyed farming beside the farm. Nice bunch of workers and a great owner. We will see what the new renters are going to be like and how they will try to handle the MUD and that Ontario Teachers Pension Fund.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6535.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	777357

So here we go. For our farm I have dropped from 25 at the beginning of October to 18. When the sun comes out you go. But yesterday the fog stayed till 1:00 and you just can't take it in.

So its going to be a rather quick crop report. The weather totally SUCKS. Not just half way but Totally sucks. Fields are now actually to muddy to Kelly Harrow as its like pulling a anchor around all day. Equipment is slowly getting put away and we bought long extension cords to plus combines in at night so if it freeze drys they will go every day and come home at night.

Name:	IMG_6540.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	777358

Drying grain is not a easy thing to get on to. We are pushing the envelope on what we have ever dried grain in our area. So it was time to phone friends and companies in areas that are use to taking Canola at very high moisture. Talked to a guy from southern Manitoba, Yea they still have crop out even if the Government says they are done reporting and its just a few acres left. He is doing Canola that wont register and after a hour in dryer its finally 21. That is really tough. Others say try 145 for two hours. Its like cooking a turkey. Were at drop 80% of whats inside after 80 min at 160 and it seems to get us to the magic below 10 so even with a slight bounce back its staying rather good. But to new guys drying a dryer is good but like the one of ours they can have their quirks. Yesterday it had issues lighting first thing in the morning it just quit. Here the regulator had issues. Or sensors go for temp or what ever reason. But the one thing with a dryer you still can go even if its a slow process.

On this Amount of crop out It just amazes me that no Media is picking up on this shit. Billions are in the field yet talked to stats Can and they said they had no Idea and would put down in a note on my response. I was a early person they called. So I imagine they got a few nasty returns. But the question was what crops do you plan to harvest. Well you plan to harvest them all will you is mother natures call and that bitch just went bat crazy. So will stats canada have whats out their or just more bull shit. Then I have talked to lots who have flown from Regina or Saskatoon to Toronto or Calgary and from the air their is a huge amount of crop out. The provinces bull shit 20% is probably really 30%. Because all who have watched this crop report know our area always has challenges with weather because the valley and the last bit of crop is always hard to get. Well when friends on West side have 55% still out and they are usually done I would say Houston we have a problem. North has issues and even south has issues. Why the quiet no one will know how bad it is from all involved in the farming industry.

CANADA HAS 30% of the Crop out and probably 25% will stay out and be burnt in spring. Thats reality.

Name:	IMG_6533.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	777359

Whats left is Flax, Oats, and Canola. With Canola being the most.

No fall banding or work has been done in the last week as fields are so muddy that next spring could be serious problems for seeding.

Be safe as stress levels elevate with harvest from hell number two continues. 2009 was harvest from hell number one. Remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop that the Ravens will try to pick off and take from you at every chance for nothing.

What are others seeing for their area and whats coming off and how bad. Its not done till its sold in the pit and your paid.

I cant imagine the stress and pontential spoilage of the grain that is coming off that you guys are talking about. I am scared with 11 canola let alone with 20. Just blows my mind but I understand the process. Some acres left around here, mostly flax and beans but a few other crops as well. Weather pattern is crappy as it seems to rain or fog every 3-4 days.

Comment

we have done a lot of really wet drying , have not had a problem. one of the worst times was canola that couldn't be tested . in the morning water was dripping out of hopper bin . grain so wet that it wouldn't run down in wet bin . one thing that really helps is to run fan on it no matter what the weather . it will make grain run down in bin . those high , high moistures so are easy to remove some moisture with fan prior to drying . you just have to have patience when drying high moisture . we were drying flax at about 19 at 155 degrees no problem , got in a hurry and tried 170 , had nothing but problems . we have never had to dry something twice with this superB.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Yea were down to one pass work great! I agree you can't rush it! Maybe we will get down to 16 or 15 left today

Comment

Yesterday fun day. Click image for larger version

Name:	20161026_170435.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	765179

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
            Yesterday fun day. [ATTACH]797[/ATTACH]
            rained here , lots

Comment

east central alberta real slow going too we had 3 4 days of fog all day wheat was testing 23 before that at least our fields are dry enough to travel on . I think 30 percent crop still out lots of canola .

Comment

Klause, is that standing Canola? It would be a bugger drying it out underneath if all laying down. We saw an Alberta truck loaded with a swath turner yesterday - the type that yust lifts the swath and places it four feet over. He bought it in Manitoba.

Comment

Klause is that canola shelled out much? What variety?

Comment

It looks pretty white, how bad is the loss?

Comment

Here in central Alberta just had 3 days of heavy wet fog. Swathed canola was testing 15 today just across the road standing nexera canola 14.5. In our area lots of canola left, anywhere from 25% for the lowest to 100% percent for a few. We also have lots of standing wheat and barley. On the plus side the snow finally melted off my canola and wheat. Fields are still wet although certainly not as bad as what it sounds like in areas of Saskatchewan. Still haven't harvested anything here since sept 30. Only farmers with dryers going. Some sunny days back to back would be a god send but that seems like a dream at this point but here is hoping!

Comment

14-15% would be considered DRY here, check forecast, might need to g'iver.

Comment

Havent turned a wheel since 20M wht on the weekend. Pea soup and mist most of week. Trying to knock er down now. #keeptheswather

Comment

That's 45H76.

It's not a straight cut variety by any means, it's rank, it was dessicated 8 weeks ago, only had 30ac left.

Anywhere where it lodged it was pretty much all there. Any spots where it was standing it was probably 50% shelled.

Yielded 1130bu by weight off the 30 acres, rest of the field ran 50.

Rest of our canola is 46M34 (Pioneer straight cut), probably about 10% shelled, and L140P, 0%. Can't even find 1 shelled pod on it.

When I took that pic the bottom of the header was in standing water. Neighbour's swaths literally are floating... The flatter the fields, the worse it is.... One neighbour has a half of barley... the heads are "swimming" in all the low spots, and the high areas are all green with growth out of the heads.

Comment

I just puked in my mouth.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...