• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are Alberta land prices going?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO body can pay for land by just farming it. You have to use the rest of your land to subsidize, or have an off farm job, or have a rich dad. Land has always been too much. The exception was the 80's and 90's, but then try paying off land at 8-10% interest. Money is free right now. The price takes that into account. Do not waste your life speculating on land going down. You will only get bitter. If you want to farm, then buy. You are not getting any younger. Spread the pain out, buy land every 4-5 years, then you can say you hit the low. Some people pay 100 dollar rent. Now that is truly scary.

Comment

I am only 52 yrs old. But the single biggest mistake of my career (after choice of spouse), was not buying 'expensive' land.
      Dad wouldnt leverage any of his equity. It wasnt all paid for from the '68 mortgage. Too afraid to borrow for $700 land with $.96 cent barley in our minds. No skills to pencil anything, let alone our way out.
      So, land was $100 in 72. $1000 in 80. $500 in 88. $1000 in 03. $4500 today.
      At no time in my career did land ever pay for "itself".
      When I look at the operations that did it 'right' in the last 20 years, I see a lot of leveraged equity for sure, but I see a lot of cash too. Multiple income streams (read off farm business).Dont forget grampa and dad wouldve both funded life insurance. ( Mine had none).
      In my area. I would predict land to hold. Until interest rates go up.
      To get to half. We need over double rates for extended time with an oversupply of land from nonfarming heirs trying to sell.

Comment

That's a terrific canola yield, but get your pencil going and figure out how feed barley will work for you this year. You may have other cropping options but lots don't. We have $4500 land here but are limited to cnl, barley, cps and hay. Land is way too high but don't see it going down anytime soon, still lots of money floating around.

Comment

I had put a post in here talking about new land we had bought and its return this year and how buying land always has seemed too expensive but in hindsight it really never has been. I decided to delete it because it may have come off as boastful and didn't want that. My thought is yes for new entrants to AG straight farming is but always has been tough for the last 100 years, for existing operations all I really know is according to a lot of studies 80-90 percent of millionaire have done it through real estate. Of course I think my one family member who has been buying properties in Ontario for the last 20 years and now spends 6 months a year in his gorgeous house in Florida probably did it smarter than me .

Comment

Never remenber anyone regretting buying land. Always seems overpriced atbthe time, but looking back u regret not buying more. Easy decision for big farms to pick up a few quarters and let the rest of the business subsidize it for a few years. 30 years later, u are a multi millionare, lots of equity, and little cash rent to pay. The goal of farming should be buying land, and minimizing operational costs, ie machinery which has devastating depreciation rates.
            Last edited by MBgrower; Oct 27, 2016, 18:21.

Comment

You also should remember there are many guys out there buying land with other people's money (investors, pensiom funds etc). That is who you are competing with. I have not seen a single nice sized farm sold anywhere in a 30 mile radius for the past three years around me...they just don't turn up often.

If nice land falls on your lap, you better jump or the next guy will.

Prices in the US have come down modestly but many of those prices were/are easily in the 10,000 or more range..we are a long way from that.

Comment

yes landprice are high in s ab 1.8 million for 160 acre all irrigation with corner pivot
                run of cell phone irrigation! and guaranteed crop and beet contrac or patotoes
                been a good infestment !
                still going up around lethb area nice flat land , hard to find .
                building not so inportand , new will be built .
                lots of Europe interest
                better buy than 800 thousand combine or tractor

good for the sellar to , young farmers going to live in town like lethbridge
                picture butte area all young man moved to the city , or bought cabin in montana nice he !
                is this healthy and is it going to last?
                second and third generation living of grandparent or pa and ma saved hard work ha ha ha
                nice he ! but it is true

Comment

[QUOTE=grassfarmer;328611]Don't know - it's been that way for a long time. OK so there was a setback here in the 80's but just like the stockmarket it was a blip on the line of upward movement.

It may have been a blip in the eighties, but to anyone who bought the highs, and didn't survive in business for nearly 20 years until the highs were surpassed, it was a very big and painful blip.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...