• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with tough grain without a dryer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with tough grain without a dryer

For us poor bastards without a dryer what are our options? I have 700 acres total spread over a 32 mile round trip crossing highway #2 in the middle and no power at any bin site so aeration isn't an option and getting grain to a dryer at home would be a bitch if I had one. I have 350 acres of "standing" 90 bushel wheat on low wet ground thats gonna be a wreck if its there in the spring (if I can't get it gone its gonna be a swamp)

Its frustrating watching my bigger neighbors with dryers going on canola (I can't blame them, its pure jealousy on my part) but if the area gets below 10% unharvested AFSC won't pay unharvested loss and I'll be really screwed in May when everything gets adjusted.

For the last few years guys were saying that you could bag tough cereals, how tough can you bag it? If it gets dry enough to straight cut can I bag it at 18ish% and deal with it in the spring now that its cool outside?

I've been trying to keep positive about this but its getting pretty grim. Updating balance sheet and talking with the banker.

I doubt you'd have till spring to deal with tough wheat in the bag....

Someone post a chart showing the number of days of "safe" storage at given temperatures and moisture.

Brutal, brutal, brutal.... what a horrible risk we take to get ****ed over almost every turn we make!

Like Hoppy said.... can you imagine handling and drying cheap ****ing feed wheat. It's bad enough when we get $6.50 for wheat and have to **** around with it. No one is, or is willing to, paying you extra for all the extra work and expense...

Those weren't your exact words were they Hopalong?

Comment

As long as it goes in the bag fairly cool and the outside temp stays cool. 18 is manageable in the bag till spring. Just make sure you tape up any holes wildlife puts in them. I have bagged up to 17.8 durum at the end of sept and it kept fine. I've bagged lots of damp gain and have never lost a grade in the bag. Much safer and easier than monitoring bins all winter. Get a grain probe to check every few weeks before the grain totally cools. I have bagged 14% canola and hauled it out in march. No problem.

Comment

Agreed: BAG it. Find a drier.

Comment

Lots of guys run fans off a generator

Edmonton RB auction typically has lots of generators, might be selling today

Comment

" in the middle and no power at any bin site so aeration "

Are there several bins in one location, if so get a generator and several pencil fans. They are very good at sucking moisture out of the grain inside the bins. They will not dry the grain but help the grain from heating.

Comment

Lots of nice generators going at RB in Edmonton starting in about 30 minutes

Comment

Its called tough for a reason! Easier than calling it pain in the arse grain.

Comment

This is an interesting article...talks about bagging canola even above 18%

http://www.producer.com/2012/01/farmers-more-confident-in-grain-bags/

Comment

So different in areas, we had a DRYER in 1974 and ever since NEED to dry 9 years out of 10!
                    If you have not, on your knees and be thankful, you have been blessed for years!
                    No way anyone farms here without dryers. 90% of the time humidity is TOO F*CKING high!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...