• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola-Onward and Upward?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola-Onward and Upward?

May actually see a pullback right in here.
    Nearby delivery bids have weakened in many areas.
    Market supplied and tough/damp canola looking for an outlet.

Please name a elevator that buys damp canola. All around us a 100 miles say it's your problem

Comment

My thought was that many may not want to bin canola that was high moisture even after they have dried it.
      I don't know of any place buying damp canola. I didn't word that too well.

Comment

I wonder what impact it would have at the crusher?

More water and oil to separate but it's al automated, open the water off take valve a quarter turn more?

Comment

Well at this point it is pretty much guaranteed that canola will be burned next spring including at least some of mine the market is not really that excited. The main reason for this is likely that China exports are not unexpectedly dropping like a rock which limits it ability to import canola. Those with canola in the bins are thanking their lucky stars right now as it is only surplus canola that will be burned.

Comment

Snow is pretty much gone here now but we have had 2 days of a heavy wet fog around Edmonton. Anyway, Viterra here told us they arent firing up the drier this year - canola has to be 11 or we arent interested. Pioneer says give us your seed order for next year and sign a contract for whats left out there and we will take care of you. Pure BS. Like I am going to contract something I have no idea if I can actually get off. Cant fill the first one at Viterra because its laying in the field still. We could have possibly went on sunday (it was 16.5) in swaths but why? I dont have a drier (never had a crop left out ever), so what I have to beg someone to take it off my hands. The whole thing is screwed right up. Friggen joke.

Comment

Crushing 10.0 canola not a problem, 11.0 they can but efficiency goes way way way down, 11.5 and over forget about it. If I understand correctly higher moisture seed is more a issue with the cake turning it into meal.

Comment

I have a hard time believing the only loss will be yield. Grey mildewed canola seed with mouse shit in it will surely be met with resistance.

Comment

The Camrose crush plant has been pricing 15 canola delivery to their nearby elevator which has a dryer. Dunno the discount.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                    I can hardly believe that any terminal wouldn't be drying grain on a year like this, that would irresponsible as far as I'm concerned.
                    The talk of burning canola sounds a little dramatic, sometimes it's combined around here in the spring with only some loss of yield.
                    Exactly.Try to combine it before burning it. I have seen people deal with over winter canola twice. Once there was only modest yeild reduction, turn up the fan and blow the shitty stuff out. I was too young to be interested but somehow crop insurance wrote off some farms. Some guys must not have had crop insurance but they spring combined alot of the neighbors frozen in the fall / overwintered canola. I recall in the fall all the gloomy farmers favorite phrase was "dump it in the bush". These other fellows did a lot of spring combining and paid the gloomy farmers cash. The gloomy farmers were happy because they some extra cash and didnt have to be bothered with the effort of burning their own crop.

Comment

Burned a field of 100% green canola once. Was written off by insurance.

Comment

Price action today and a similar or higher close tomorrow would make a pull back less likely.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...