• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relentless push ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relentless push ...

For more acres continues here .
    Some guys not finished still pushing for more. I just don't get it.
    Good luck .

I don't know if you have ever read the Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It is an interesting read about how a person's environment, in conjunction with personal drive and motivation, affects his or her possibility and opportunity for success. Case in point , I started farming in high interest rates and poor prices for a lot of years, it affects my attitude towards risk, vs the young tigers that have never seen high interest nor multiple years of low prices. I remember guys that lived through the 30's that were extremely adverse to borrowing money because of what they saw and experienced in those days.
    The very aggressive guys today may ride the wave to success and prosperity or they may crash.

Comment

I agree , too many of these young guys haven't saw tough times , really tough . it's happening here right now . a few years ago I was consulting in the oilpatch and a young roughneck came back from days off and had bought a new diesel truck . with the lift kit it was $80k . so I started asking him about borrowing money . he had a $520k old house in leduc , quad and sled . owed $700 k . the stupid f$&king banks had lent it all to him . I asked him what he was going to do when it crashed again . he said he wasn't worried it wouldn't happen again and basically that I was old and stupid . those downturns were a thing of the past according to him ! a lot of people on here think roughnecks were making a lot of money , but they weren't . anyways wtf was wrong with the bank? farming will play out exactly the same here shortly . I have saw enough hard times in my life to really be scared of risk, probably too scared .

Comment

Caseih Do ypu find it harder to farm without oil money,I think a lot will go under without thier 6 figure wages to hide in the farm.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
          Caseih Do ypu find it harder to farm without oil money,I think a lot will go under without thier 6 figure wages to hide in the farm.
          I didnt do much of it , but youre right there was lots of that going on . Didnt affect my farm at all . Guys at top were paid ridiculous amounts of money . Guys at bottom doing the work were paid very little , imo

Comment

As a younger farmer I am always on the look out for land. Needs to be the right piece and right rate. Only thing I dont like is the fact that my dad is getting older and is still a huge part of the operation so dont want to work him too hard.

Comment

Reminds me, brothers and I used to joke with Dad when about 60, "wear out the old stuff first"... now I am there, nearly worn out.

Comment

We always joke about getting old but you can tell that too many consecutive days in the combine for long hours he does get tired and cranky a bit. Still gives 'er shit and proud of him!

Comment

You had consecutive long days on the combine ???? I think we strung 4 days together back in August , seems so long ago now lol.

Comment

Furrow, we had a couple good stretches but with age and too many hours comes tiredness!! We also sat for over a week twice.

Comment

There's got to be some guys here shitting bricks and sweating bullets....too much crop out for some of the guys operating on the egde. Maybe paying it all back was never their full intent as long as they had the biggest hard-on is all that seemed to matter among that age group. I don't hate other people's success and hope they make it....but I wouldn't want to be them with the kick in the balls some of them might be getting. .....as long as I don't have to feel it (cost me anything....directly, probably not. Indirectly? Maybe!)

Some of them probably have a couple of strikes already...next trip to the plate might not end well.

Comment

I see in the paper today some land up for tender by the bank of nova scotia, dont know if repo land or what. Talked to neibour that sold bly to local feedlot and no money yet thats 3 weeks ago and they told him mabey in 3 more weeks they may have his money. A lot of expansion in the cow heard last 2 yr , dont look pretty now, I wonder if the shit is starting to hit the fan, I know of some that had pricey jobs in the oil biz that are now unemployed and wont know how to survive without pay check.

Comment

Its funny how a person can view something one way and then spin it around...For the last few years I was wondering who was going to farm all the land around me as everybody was getting older and not even a handfull of kids were interested in farming...Then a couple months ago my son mentions he might be interested in farming. That got me thinking where could he get land now or in the future if he was to start. That sure changed my perspective.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...