• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats

Will this snow have any significant impact on milling oat prices or delivery availability? At least one buyer is out of the market they say for the foreseeable future. Many of you are closer to the buyers than I am and just wondering your thoughts.

Lots of local oats underneath the heavy snow right now. Edmonton east area.

Comment

Edmonton west and north flatter than piss on a platter probably gone for good . 4ins snow and still snowing forecast not good for whole week. Fields wet enough that quad makes ruts. Seems to be a market for straw all of a sudden most cerals that were combined were choped because no money in bailing but I doubt there will be any more straw bailed around here this yr.

Comment

Which ever way we look at it, there is over production of milling oats or under production of malt barley.
        That is what current prices are saying.
        Would expect a return to more traditional relationship but, while it lasts, markets are telling us to grow barley rather than oats.

Comment

Even with good yields....how can anyone make decent money with oats at $2.50? Is there "always" that much oats around that prices don't seem to rise? High volume---low value. Lots of product to handle.

Comment

Hey Farma, it is really no different than 40 bushel wheat at $5/bu or feed durum 60x4. It all depends on the inputs into it. I will agree it is alot of product to handle but much easier grading than the wheat circus. I hope it rises, have a fair bit unpriced. Nice rally as local bids have increased anywhere from 10-50 cents in the last few weeks.

Comment

[QUOTE=farmaholic;327429]Even with good yields....how can anyone make decent money with oats at $2.50? Is there "always" that much oats around that prices don't seem to rise? High volume---low value. Lots of product to handle.[/QUOTE

160 bu/acre x $2.50 = $400.00/acre. Cost of production $250/acre.
              Net profit 150.00/acre.
              I know its not as good a profit as canola on canola on canola but oats has a place in rotation, if the farmer can be bothered to consider rotation.

Comment

Tried oats, now have WILD OATS till hell freezes, cost that out and see.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...