• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Fertilizer Drops again! Canadian News Lets Screw the Farmer and Increase Here!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Fertilizer Drops again! Canadian News Lets Screw the Farmer and Increase Here!

Retail fertilizer prices continued to move lower during the first week of October 2016, continuing the recent trend, according to retailers surveyed by DTN. All eight of the major fertilizers are lower compared to last month with only two fertilizers down a substantial amount.

Leading the way lower for the first time is anhydrous. The nitrogen fertilizer is 6% lower compared to a month earlier and has an average price of $472/ton.

The other fertilizer significantly lower is 10-34-0. The starter fertilizer is 5% less expensive from the first week of September and now has an average price of $454/ton.

The remaining six fertilizers were all lower compared to last month, but the move to the low side was fairly slight. DAP had an average price of $438/ton, MAP $451/ton, potash $312/ton, urea $315/ton, UAN28 $224/ton and UAN32 $263/ton.

On a price per pound of nitrogen basis, the average urea price was at $0.34/lb.N, anhydrous $0.29/lb.N, UAN28 $0.40/lb.N and UAN32 $0.41/lb.N.

Declining retail fertilizer prices helped lower farmers' input costs in 2016 and now with the crops being harvested and fertilizer being applied for the 2017 growing season, many are wondering where fertilizer prices could be in the next growing season. In a post on the Agricultural Economic Insights website titled "Will Farmers Benefit from Lower Fertilizer Prices Again in 2017?" author David A. Widmar examines the possibility that even lower fertilizer prices could be seen in 2017.

The trends over the last few years show most retail fertilizer prices peaked in 2010 to 2012 and since mid-2013, prices have settled lower, he wrote.

"In fewer than two years of data, anhydrous ammonia prices went from $725 per ton in early 2015 to nearly $500 per tons recently," Widmar wrote. "And while many expected lower fertilizer prices, the magnitude of the decline, more than a 31% decrease, is more than many likely expected."

An estimated fertilizer expense for a 180-70-70 fertilizer application (anhydrous, DAP and potash) during the highest prices in 2011 to 2013 was around $160 per acre. By 2014 and 2015 prices had moved lower and this application would have cost nearly $140 per acre.

In the spring of 2016, the cost of this application dropped another $28 per acre and cost $112 per acre. Currently, the cost of this application is $96 per acre, nearly 40% lower than 2014 and 2015 levels, he wrote.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5318.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	777344

I was quoted yesterday that Nitrogen based was up last weekend and they probably will increase it again. Yea kick the Canadian farmer down when they want to.

What ??? You never bought your fert in June ???

Comment

No they wanted me to buy it in May just as I started seeding. They must need Cash flow to help them buy another Fertilizer company that the competition bureau thinks is fair trade.

Comment

Lol , I know , it was the same thing here.
        2 companies did a large blitz the last two days of May , just before the N prices dropped $45 / t .
        I loved the one blanket text that was sent out " You have till noon today to get fert at this speacial price !! "
        I am not sure they caught any farmers but it was quite the desperate act lol

Comment

With the dismal fall weather, I don't think there will be much fertilizer applied this fall. Floated sulphate fines about it. Dealers could be looking to turn their storage and opportunities may arise for take home product. Time will tell. I expect better opportunities here than purchasing canola seed.

Comment

Not sure what kind of increases you're hearing, keep in mind the CAD has been dropping and moved under $0.76 near the start of October. Lower CAD = higher Fertilizer

Not a friendly chart BTW.

Comment

Lower dollar shouldn't matter for urea produced in Canada.

I get that it's priced in US dollars but the freight to get the US price should wash out the increase because of the dollar.

Comment

bucket, you sound like those urban chumps in Regina that always bitch that gas is so high in Regina even though there's a refinery "right here in the city". I would think that a farmer, that is familiar with marketing, would understand that retail prices aren't based on the local refinery, but the costs of other refineries bring product there. The local refinery(or fertilizer plant) will sell for what it costs, a competitor to ship into it's area, why sell for less.

Comment

Thanks....

Comment

One of the blends I used last yr is down $146T, that's something positive. But, on the world scale it's still likely high. Just priced one place, 28-0-0 quoted $280 del.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
                      With the dismal fall weather, I don't think there will be much fertilizer applied this fall. Floated sulphate fines about it. Dealers could be looking to turn their storage and opportunities may arise for take home product. Time will tell. I expect better opportunities here than purchasing canola seed.
                      Floater will be sinkers in most saturated fields here. Subsoil moisture is above ground, C&D ditch running more than spring, frozen culverts next mess.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...