• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acres still left out?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acres still left out?

We have a few and its kind of scary when you break it down to a dollar amount. 3000 acres x 50 is 150000 of Canola at 10 or 11 is $1.65 million in the field. What it will be worth come spring from past experience is a penny match. Some winters no problem some winters its a match.

Funny we are not the only ones as you cross the valley. Yes south their is still crop out but north its a whole different world.

But the first storm hit western Sask. and all way up to Prince Albert and over to Hudson bay. The second got a area from moose jaw to Humboldt to west side.

The third got Regina south to Manitoba.

Drew says we should pray real hard to get a decent few days this month.

But reality has the jet stream has dropped low and the northern oscillation has changed and the change isn't good.

So I know we have crop out but this is normal for our area. You can farm 20000 south side of valley and half on north side easily. The Valley has a real effect on climate.

Reality is yes its still early October but we are getting shorter days and the ground is cooling that all isn't good. Snow doesn't help we need sun and heat and we haven't had any since Oct 1.

Lets get a tally of the crop out and what it is.

For our area 90% of what is left is Canola.

what are other areas seeing, Because if the average is 80% done thats 20% left to harvest or 2 million acres of Canola and 1 million acres of Durum or HRS. Oats is also out.

Wow thats quite a bit of crop still to come off.

Any one want to guess or challenge my findings.

We got snow saturday/sunday NE of Edmonton. All we have is canola left but there is still a bit of wheat left as well. Most guys went after cereals thinking if it rained, the canola would dry quicker. At least 50% of the canola is still out and 25% of the wheat. The odd field of barley too. Looking pretty dismal to get this off anytime soon. +3 days -5 nights and another 20cm snow expected friday. Looks like a wrap for this fall. Will be a busy spring around here.

Looked at the crop insurance policy and there is a 'snowed under provision'. As long as there is more then 10% uncombined in the area, the policy kicks in. Not sure how exactly this works but Im guessing we will find out pretty quickly. There is billions of dollars of crop in the field across the west.

Hard to not have a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you look out your window but it was nice to spend time with the family too. I guess we will live to fight another day. Hopefully everyone else will as well.

Comment

Yea first family thanks giving in years was very nice to spend with my family.

When the snow started at 1 most were looking outside and feeling rather sick.

Comment

A few guys are done around here but lots aren't.
        So wet now I really doubt anymore will be combined unless we get an unheard of stretch of weather to dry the land out. You couldn't get across a 1/4 with a 4x4 pickup truck right now let alone hold a combine up.
        Water laying everywhere.
        I'd guess that 30 to 40% of the canola is still in the field for our area.

Comment

snowing again here at lunch time. Negative drying.

Comment

I'm NE of Regina on the south side of the Qu'Appelle valley. Most are finished here. But what is out is mainly flax and canola.

I am 90% finished with just my hemp left to do. We combined most of the hemp in the winter last year and it looks like we will need the ground to be frozen solid before we can get out there again.

Comment

chicken today, feathers tomorrow!

Comment

Good sized farm by Wadena has not even started canola! Yes can not even remember in the last 45 years this wet at freeze up! And 2017?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih
                  Lots of time yet. Lookat this brown guy

Comment

[QUOTE=fjlip;327004]Good sized farm by Wadena has not even started canola! Yes can not even remember in the last 45 years this wet at freeze up! And 2017?[/QUOT

If that's the same farmer I'm thinking off, they got 16,000 acres to go.

We got a few farmers in the Kamsack area that got 5,000 acres plus of canola left to go. Most of the canola in this area is 50 plus bushels/ acre, A lot of it is not swathed, and was left for straight cutting. With this rain and wet snow, it's a mess. Bayer was tweeting #selltheswather. Well maybe in South Dakota, but not up here. Some young farmers are saying , who thought it would snow the beginning of Oct? I said are you serious....I've seen it snow Sept 8, Sept 10, Sept 15, and a slug of times after the 15 th of Sept. Sure most of the times it melted, warmed up, and a wet harvest continued. Then there were years when you combined in April, dragging the combine around with your tractor . We got lucky this year and finished our last few acres when it started raining then snowing. Let's hope you fellas that didn't get done, get some nice weather and have a chance at it.

Comment

Not too much left out in my immediate vicinity, little bit of beans here and there. Seems wetter Killarney south to the border more fields with water lying on them down there. Was north of Neepawa the other day and they are better finished up than around here, crops off and more fall work done. Looks a lot drier up there which i'd assume isn't normal.

I remember back in 02 or 03, the real bad drought years in AB crops were so late in our area which is very similar to AF5's. Got snowed up fairly early then had a few freeze and thaw cycles. Our Hutterite neighbours got the last of their crop off at night in the first week of December. Had another colony helping them so running 10 combines and every so often they had to run the combines back to the shop to de-ice them in rotation. I think that was the year we went on to have the first ever non-white Christmas in that area. Hopefully you get some chances to get the harvest complete.

Comment

1993 Sept 12, foot of snow, wheat flat, snowmobiled between canola swaths, wish I had pics!

All got swathed/combined/dried but done.

Any one following the hoar frost, heard today it is bang on from 6 months ago, wet till late Oct is possible.
                        Last edited by fjlip; Oct 11, 2016, 18:56.

Comment

2 Billion Saskatchewan.

1.8 Billion Alberta.

Crop still left in the field. Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                            2 Billion Saskatchewan.

1.8 Billion Alberta.

Crop still left in the field. Ouch!
                            Why say ouch? It only hurts the farmer. Everyone will get their money, they may have to wait until spring but thats just a little more interest for them. The supply industry may not get some of that sweet pre pay money but they will get it back with an artificial shortage of supply at seeding time. They will blame the farmer for not placing his fertilizer order early enough to ensure adequate supply.
                            Mainstream society won't miss a beat. Its just another day.

Comment

Yea I agree the piranhas always get what they feel they deserve.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...