• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall banding revisited

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall banding revisited

With wet fields, starting to have doubts about getting as much done as planned.
    Alternatives are spring banding, spring broadcast, more N with seed or even summerfallow.
    We have gone several years without summerfallow but maybe time for a second look.
    Used to be moisture reserve was an important benefit from summerfallow but, with recent wet years, it could be a detriment.
    Subsidized crop and revenue insurance make it more attractive to seed every acre if we can.
    In an ideal world we would farm without subsidies but as long as they are there it is likely foolish to disregard them.

We used to do some but now it seems there is not enough time and also, the wet years put a sour taste to do a lot of it. Lots of guys did it in the fall and then could not get on the land in the spring and lots was lost to leaching. Spring can be a good time if weather allows but it can really dry out the soil if you open it up and no rain in the forecast.

Comment

If I never fall band again. When you quit you will ask yourself why it took so long.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        If I never fall band again. When you quit you will ask yourself why it took so long.
        What do you mean?

Done it most years, takes work load away from seeding, price better, no storage costs, soil drys quicker, only negative, if TOO hot/dry/windy, yes. At the present that seems too far away. Those direct seeding having a MESS with tracks/compaction. And SMF is plainly stupid when so wet, couple fields near here/organic, all flooded potholes.

If dry subsoil, it can leach down if rains in excess, if saturated soil, denitrification happens and N is lost to the air due to lack of oxygen/bacteria in the soil.
        Last edited by fjlip; Oct 11, 2016, 14:15.

Comment

Apolgies. Every area/operation different.
          First I have to get done harvest. Then can I get through trash without making mess in fall when damp.
          NH3 not bad. But urea or AS granular? Highly hygroscopic in cold damp fall air. Lots of plugging.
          Now have a fractured seed bed/ field finish. Seed tool dependent.
          No one in this area does it anymore. Most definitely not me.
          If it works in your area, good for you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...