• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stalled Canadian Harvest and flax prices.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalled Canadian Harvest and flax prices.

Flax is typically one of the last crops to be harvested. I never saw a lot of flax around to start with and now some acres face not being harvested this fall. Milling quality flax could be hard to find. Bakeries and whole seed markets will want aesthetically pleasing flax. What will the flax that is yet to be harvested look like? Many dark seeds? Parts of the bolls that separate the seeds adhered to the flaxseed? What will it look like after two nights of minus 6, 7 or 8 degrees celcius while being tough/damp beyond reason?

Could be some good prices ahead.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 10, 2016, 17:50.

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Flax is typically one of the last crops to be harvested. I never saw a lot of flax around to start with and now some acres face not being harvested this fall. Milling quality flax could be hard to find. Bakeries and whole seed markets will want aesthetically pleasing flax. What will the flax that is yet to be harvested look like? Many dark seeds? Parts of the bolls that separate the seeds adhered to the flaxseed? What will it look like after two nights of minus 6, 7 or 8 degrees celcius while being tough/damp beyond reason?

Good be some good prices ahead.
    Not positive but don't think it will hurt it. If it was mature going into weather it should be fine.

Comment

I've seen the whole 60 acres is off in my neighborhood. Don't know if the small square bales he has in rows will ever dry.

Comment

I don't think it can be subjected to all this crap weather and come through unscathed....I wouldn't bet the farm though. The crop got another white blanket applied to it again here today.
        Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 10, 2016, 19:22.

Comment

I would expect the boll separations to be stuck to the seed after this lousy weather. It usually loses a fair bit of weight if left out for the winter.

Like I said a while back, I'll be cheering flax prices all the way up. If half the flax still in the field disappeared I think it would fix things right up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flax prices SK Oct 2016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	765144

Comment

Thanks so much for that price chart 101. $14+/bu sounds good to me....currently we are a long way off that price. My prediction will be the same as for canola....no movement up in price until the tough flax is stolen because of shit harvest conditions. ..guys are going to go tough and there will be "drying "SPECIALS"" offered..... .

Can someone shed some light on the other wild cards...U.S. and Eastern European supplies.

I think there could be fireworks in flax....and by that I hope not the grain dryers!

Comment

Oh ya great fun, a fire in the drier doing flax. Take care lighting the flame.

Here's a link:[URL="http://flaxcouncil.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Flax-Market-Snapshot-July-4th-2016.pdf"]http://flaxcouncil.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Flax-Market-Snapshot-July-4th-2016.pdf[/URL]

There are a few charts with North American and Black Sea flax situation. I wonder about the forecast for 675,000 tonnes of exports. That was attained maybe twice in the last 11 calendar years. There will have to be marked price improvements for farmers to move out that amount of flax this year.
              Last edited by farming101; Oct 10, 2016, 22:30.

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...