• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highway tractor engine heaters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway tractor engine heaters

What are you guys using. Wabastos or Proheats. Circulating heaters or oil pan heaters or just relying on the block heater?

I find block heaters aren't just too bad if even only inside cold storage sheds but this truck is out doors.

15w-40 or 10w-30 for winter?

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    What are you guys using. Wabastos or Proheats. Circulating heaters or oil pan heaters or just relying on the block heater?

I find block heaters aren't just too bad if even only inside cold storage sheds but this truck is out doors.

15w-40 or 10w-30 for winter?
    0-40 all year long , nothing but , block Heater only in pole shed

Comment

0W40 helps a lot

Comment

Block and oil pan on C12 cat.oil pan and pre heat on 3126 cat.

15/40 oil.

Comment

Ive heard the wabastos need to be cycled on occasionally even in the summer or they screw up?

Comment

Proheat. Its componetized and easily serviceable/rebuildable. It's a bit more of a fuel hog when sleeping in it overnight in the winter since it keeps the whole block warm alongside heating the bunk, but it's never left me stone cold in the morning at a truck stop or on the side of the road if the engine heater fails to fire. If it fails for some reason, (only had it fail twice overnight) the bunk starts to get cold, and you'll shiver yourself awake, but there's still more than enough residual heat in the block to get it started if anything goes wrong. If I plugged a computer into it, I could figure out how many hours are on it, but it would not surprise me if its pushing 20,000.

As for oil, I run 5-W40 synthetic year round for the small fuel economy boost as well as the easier startups in the winter. Honestly though I dont know if the low viscosity oil is all that big of deal. Each to their own, but a former boss ran 15-40 year round in every truck he owned and used nothing but a block and or pan heater. Never took an engine out on a fleet of a dozen or so over 25+ years. ISX in a truck I drove for him used to shut down after 15 seconds of no oil pressure. First time it did it to me on a real cold morning I phoned to see what I should do. He said hit the key again. I cringed every time expecting it to throw something through the block, but when he traded it off it was pushing 25,000 hrs without any internal issues (that we knew about).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...