• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most important graph about global warming

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it odd that no one recognizes the big ball of fire that appears in the sky from time to time. Currently behind a snow storm here. It's so vain to assume we are the ones affecting weather, somewhat like assuming the earth is the center of the universe and its flat.

Comment

Macdon if you comment is meant for me, I already acknowledged the sun impacts climate. So does the wobble of the earth on its axis. So is the chart provided evidence of solar radiation, or the change in the tilt of the earth on its access, or a combination of both. Or could it be something else althogether like cosmic solar winds that are even longer term cycle. To say the sun is the only cause is no different than saying man has no effect.

We do know that man has released solar energy that was captured and stored in fossil fuels over hundreds and hundreds of thousands of years in just the last 100 years. To claim this could have no effect on climate/environment is very naïve.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
        Macdon if you comment is meant for me, I already acknowledged the sun impacts climate. So does the wobble of the earth on its axis. So is the chart provided evidence of solar radiation, or the change in the tilt of the earth on its access, or a combination of both. Or could it be something else althogether like cosmic solar winds that are even longer term cycle. To say the sun is the only cause is no different than saying man has no effect.

We do know that man has released solar energy that was captured and stored in fossil fuels over hundreds and hundreds of thousands of years in just the last 100 years. To claim this could have no effect on climate/environment is very naïve.

dlmfarmer - how is it more naive than it is to claim that human activity has an impact?

You made the claim, now we should have the benefit of being presented with the evidence on which you base your claim.

And remember, when placed against the above chart, your evidence must show the human impact within the parameters of the variations.
        Last edited by burnt; Oct 6, 2016, 10:00.

Comment

dml, perhaps I should have explained why I think this graph is relevant. I thought it was self explanatory. 400000 years is obviously far too long and with too low resolution to show any human impact. This graph has nothing to do with AGW. What it does show is the very brief interglacial warm periods within the glacial epoch we are in. It shows that from here, the earth is capable of cooling 8 degrees,or warming a fraction of a degree. It shows that this warm period we are in is the exception and not the rule. This warm period during which all of human civilization has taken place. It shows that this warm period is already longer than the past 4 reprieves from glaciation. The optimist could look at this and claim that the cycle of glaciation is over and we have entered a new phase of perpetual warmth, nothing to worry about. The pessimist could could say this warm period is already long in the tooth and will end at any moment. ANd if you believe in the power of AGW, maybe we should be claiming victory over natural cycles, and good times are here to stay.

I look at this graph and think we had better enjoy the warm times while they last, and find a way to take advantage of it, and possibly save some of this abundant energy that comes from the currently benevolent sun.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	global-temperatures.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	765132

Since you like graphs, consider this one. We should be seeing a temperature trend downward given the 400,000 year chart. However, actual temperature data from NOAA for the last 125 years show an upward trend, and in fact the shorter the time period used the faster the acceleration of temperatures.
            https://goo.gl/images/4Fvi5T

Comment

[ATTACH]707[/ATTACH]

Since you like graphs, consider this one. We should be seeing a temperature trend downward given the 400,000 year chart. However, actual temperature data from NOAA for the last 125 years show an upward trend, and in fact the shorter the time period used the faster the acceleration of temperatures.
              https://goo.gl/images/4Fvi5T
              Depends how you cherry pick the numbers to suit an agenda or cause. It appears to me the last 3 red bars are all declining and are trending down! The blue line is also trending down on that graph at the end!!
              Time to subsidize carbon to encourage burning? (Excuse my sarcasm)

Overall a variance of -0.4 degrees to +0.6 degrees over 200 years based on some irrelevant reference point a scientist came up with on his taxpayer subsidized research project, isn't a good reason for a cold country like Canada to start taxing the air we breathe to try to change the weather. 😂

Comment

LOL
                Oliver, talk about cherry picking! you try to make your case on just the last three years of data. Yet you ignore the fact the chart ended in 2009 and that average annual tempertures have gone up since then.

You also claim such a little amount of heating won't make a difference, yet compared to the 400,000 year chart where Alberta Farmer claims we are within fractions of a degree of the historic high temperatures, we are currently in a warming trend of .5 - 1.6 degrees per century.

I also read somewhere the difference between the average temperature in Medicine Hat and Alberta is only 1 or 2 degrees. A small temperature rise can make a huge difference in farming and I am not sure if Edmonton area farmers would be prepared to farm if they had the climate of Medicine Hat.

Comment

LOL
                  Oliver, talk about cherry picking! you try to make your case on just the last three years of data. Yet you ignore the fact the chart ended in 2009 and that average annual tempertures have gone up since then.

You also claim such a little amount of heating won't make a difference, yet compared to the 400,000 year chart where Alberta Farmer claims we are within fractions of a degree of the historic high temperatures, we are currently in a warming trend of .5 - 1.6 degrees per century.

I also read somewhere the difference between the average temperature in Medicine Hat and Alberta is only 1 or 2 degrees. A small temperature rise can make a huge difference in farming and I am not sure if Edmonton area farmers would be prepared to farm if they had the climate of Medicine Hat.
                  Oh yes what an emergency....hurry up and tax something, hire 500 employees to work in a crown corporation to take selfies and show "climate leadership" but will they change our weather?!
                  We need panels, advisory boards, summits to attend by jet all over the world (a lot of tourist destinations will be favourite spots), federal, provincial, municipal beaureaucrats to calculate expenses and rebates.

Will there be an Efficient use of taxpayer money....will more that 50% of tax be wasted in a beauraucracy?
                  Not important.....it's all optics now.

As I look out my window and see about 10 inches of snow, I believe we can handle an increase 1 degree in our average temperature.

Comment

dml, I like your way of thinking. Perhaps we really have harnessed mother nature and can control the climate. Thank goodness we are pushing it warmer rather than colder. maybe we are postponing the next ice age by a few years. I'm not even going to comment on the data used to create the temperature chart you've provided.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                      Yeah, problem with these little social media shares is credibility - when they don't know the difference between "buy" and "by" how much confidence can you have in their scientific and mathematical skills?
                      but the baloney meter , that was all good , right ????? unbelievable

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...