• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vomitoxin/DON testing. (Do not read this if you are offended by profanity)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vomitoxin/DON testing. (Do not read this if you are offended by profanity)

For ****'s sake... No where with a quick look through the CGC's grain grading guide in the sections of "Grading Factors", "Primary or Export Grade Determinants" did I find the mention of Vomitoxin or Don. Yes, fusarium is in there but when they can't beat you with that ****in stick they pick up another one that they can beat you down with. We are talking PARTS PER MILLION! They are beating us with micro measurements when we are dealing with macro factors. You want perfection from a far less than perfect environment we are expected to work and deal with! How the **** do you win that battle?

Who in hell eats ONLY bread or pasta or grain based foods each meal each and every day? So you don't have a balanced diet and a wee bit of "mycotoxin" is going to kill you? Maybe we should rename it "microtoxin". Put out the ****ing cigarettes! How can it be those ****ing cancer sticks can still be legally sold? Who here doesn't have the odd drink? What happens when you drink too much? Sugar in large doses? Processed fats in large doses?

Maybe the raw grain isn't as bad for you as the processing of it and what's added to it to make it sit on a ****ing shelf for six months to a year and never rot! Maybe its the sugar and processed oils, excess salt, preservatives that are as dangerous as microscopic levels of a mycotoxin.

Put down the ****ing stick already you as____es! I'm tired of the games and continually getting beaten down by you pricks. This industry needs to go to hell and people ****ing starve! Well fed people must think this shit up...

If it isn't in the guide how can it be used against you?

wmoebis...prove me wrong. Please tell me where the specs are in the guide! Is this it?

Contaminated Grain:

Contaminated is defined in the “Canada Grain Act” as; “Contaminated means, in respect of grain, containing any substance in sufficient quantity that the grain is unfit for consumption by persons or animals or is adulterated within the meaning of the regulations made pursuant to sections B.01.046(1), B.15.001 and B.15.002(1) of the Food and Drugs Act.”

....and where are the tolerances and why aren't they in the guide.

I could have just as well added this to the previous thread, I was busy putting it together and hit submit before I knew we had a fuzz thread started shortly before this one.

Comment

Is anyone here considering getting their own vomitoxin test kit? I only checked one company and its about $3500 CAD.
      Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 5, 2016, 07:26.

Comment

Vomitoxins Im going to compare to falling number for convenience sake.

Milling companies don't want high falling numbers. Something or other to do with the flour quality and rising. Elevators aren't equipped to get FNs and the CGC don't grade for it (although sprouts are directly linked to it) yet for any wheat that is suspect and being sent to say, ADM, samples are sent to labs to check for falling number. If the wheat isn't found to have suitable FN, then the mills aren't going to purchase it and the elevators would most likely have to downgrade it for a feed.

Similarly for vomitoxin, it's not specifically graded for - and isn't even present with all fus - but should the private companies who buy and use the grains test for it and it doesn't fall within their guidelines.... the elevators are again stuck with a product.

However, not similarly to sprouts and FN, fus and a downgrade due to vomitoxins are also going to limit the grains saleability. as a feed.

I'd say check any product guidelines for milling companies and see what their vomitoxin standards are. It'll be them setting it more so than the CGC.

And remember, just because you have fus doesn't mean you have the type of it that produces a lot of mycotoxin.

I'm also going to ad that most elevators aren't going to be able to test for vomi and have to send samples away. But some probably are able too.
        Last edited by Blaithin; Oct 4, 2016, 17:56.

Comment

This has been a pattern for at least 26 years. Why are you upset? Did you Plant the same crops the same way and now you want to sell those crops the same way and expect different results?

Comment

OK,,,,,,I'll ask,,,,,,,,How many ppm in your Durum?

Got mine last week, 1.5% Fuz and 3ppm Vomi.

Will cool again/some more, when temps get to minus, don't want it multiplying in the bin.

It has great colour, and I think they'll want enough to pay up for it, at some point.

Comment

Aaaaa.....no! Things have definitely NOT been done the same here for the last 26 years. And grain buying has also changed....I hesitate to say it "evolved" because to me that implies "improved".

The problem HAS to be my bad attitude!

Comment

Well at least you're still capable of sitting upright and whining like a little bitch

Comment

b-bloke....I barely got a glimpse so far so don't want to say much. I cant wait to see the variability from the numerous samples I submitted, assuming there will be. To me it is an unregulated stick. To me it is a "tool" to drive down prices for decent quality usable grain.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    For ****'s sake... No where with a quick look through the CGC's grain grading guide in the sections of "Grading Factors", "Primary or Export Grade Determinants" did I find the mention of Vomitoxin or Don. Yes, fusarium is in there but when they can't beat you with that ****in stick they pick up another one that they can beat you down with. We are talking PARTS PER MILLION! They are beating us with micro measurements when we are dealing with macro factors. You want perfection from a far less than perfect environment we are expected to work and deal with! How the **** do you win that battle?

Who in hell eats ONLY bread or pasta or grain based foods each meal each and every day? So you don't have a balanced diet and a wee bit of "mycotoxin" is going to kill you? Maybe we should rename it "microtoxin". Put out the ****ing cigarettes! How can it be those ****ing cancer sticks can still be legally sold? Who here doesn't have the odd drink? What happens when you drink too much? Sugar in large doses? Processed fats in large doses?

Maybe the raw grain isn't as bad for you as the processing of it and what's added to it to make it sit on a ****ing shelf for six months to a year and never rot! Maybe its the sugar and processed oils, excess salt, preservatives that are as dangerous as microscopic levels of a mycotoxin.

Put down the ****ing stick already you as____es! I'm tired of the games and continually getting beaten down by you pricks. This industry needs to go to hell and people ****ing starve! Well fed people must think this shit up...

If it isn't in the guide how can it be used against you?

wmoebis...prove me wrong. Please tell me where the specs are in the guide! Is this it?

Contaminated Grain:

Contaminated is defined in the “Canada Grain Act” as; “Contaminated means, in respect of grain, containing any substance in sufficient quantity that the grain is unfit for consumption by persons or animals or is adulterated within the meaning of the regulations made pursuant to sections B.01.046(1), B.15.001 and B.15.002(1) of the Food and Drugs Act.”

....and where are the tolerances and why aren't they in the guide.
                    You are absolutely right. Vomi is a health safety issue. Mills and bakeries operate under health CFIA rules and wven in USA are limited on amount of Vomi that can be processed into food for human or anal consumption.
                    Vomi can be high even without visual fuss. Just like FN can be low without visual assessment. Our visual grading is a way of quickly and accurately grouping grain of equal or close to quality up to a maximum then drops to the next grade. Just like kids in school doesn't matter if yoir mark is 100% or 50 you move to next grade equally but if you fail to make the grade you don’t pass to the next grade.

Every country in the world has limits of desease,mildews,molds etc that is allowed in food. We eat and breath them all the time but in too large amounts we make people sick.

We have a wreck just like ergot was a couple yrs ago. Vets can tell you how many cases of ergotism were diagnosed and killed cattle. Luckily our system kept it out of human food chain. Now feed Co are testing for ergot and Vomi. Do we want this to start happening to people?

When Act was opened up and proclaimed as modernization it did nothing for modern farming and issues we are facing with modern farming practices. Joke!

Comment

If farmers could get along we could start a Farmer's Coop and flip the Viterras, Cargils and Richardsons the bird. Wouldn't that be nice? Operates on a break even basis.
                      Last edited by biglentil; Oct 4, 2016, 18:30.

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                        Well at least you're still capable of sitting upright and whining like a little bitch
                        If this was directed at me, it is my job to question the status quo or how they determine grades and value of what I produce and sell. This situation is a relatively new scenario for us compared to production areas east of here.

Maybe if afew more people stood up and questioned whats happening instead of rolling over and playing dead, or worse----always bending over, maybe producers wouldn't be like fish in a barrel! But thanks for noticing!

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                          You are absolutely right. Vomi is a health safety issue. Mills and bakeries operate under health CFIA rules and wven in USA are limited on amount of Vomi that can be processed into food for human or anal consumption.
                          Whoa that escalated!! 😂

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                            OUCH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                              Whoa that escalated!! 😂
                              You caught that too?!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...