• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post harvest on canola stubble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post harvest on canola stubble

Lots of weeds in the canola stubble, not bad from road at 60km but a slow drive across and a walk about and she not pretty.
    I usually just add 6 oz 2-4D with round up and seed wheat next year
    But considering the low returns on most cereals looking foreward I want to keep all options open .
    Heat and express SG are options , what are other options to spice up round up , kill round up canola but leave no residual for next spring so canola may be an option again ?

Oh , that's under $5 /AC .

Comment

RR and work black

Comment

PARDON? canola on canola.....is that a BMP? Are you in this for the long or short term? Schlerotinia resistant varieties I believe are meant to be used in a good rotation. Same as clubroot.....you will wish you used a club on your head. Not saying it won't move in slowly anyway but why put out the ****in welcome mat?

That's my two cents or is that five cents now that they've cancelled the penny and are rounding up or down.....rounding down would make my opinion absolutely worthless!
        Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 3, 2016, 08:53.

Comment

Furrow, I've been having the same thoughts(about not using 2,4-D,,,just so as to keep ALL options open), but not thinking of canola on canola.

FROST is what usually fixes that problem, not so the last couple years. A good strong La Nina will do so next fall, just hoping it won't come in August.

Comment

Cold freezes this week, volunteer CANOLA will be screwed, just sprayed whole farm with Transorb. All options, canola on canola was earliest most even best yielding on the farm. Same yield as wheat at double the price and harvest rain has NO EFFECT. Snow and Repeat.

Comment

Definitely grow canola next year. Its what everyone is doing. Its called sustainability and farmers know what's best for the land.

Comment

Have seen canola on canola work well in this area (Edmonton). The ones that do it have a rotation that give a 3 year no canola break before back to back canola again. Actually works better than every other year canola wheat. Could use pardner with glyphosate in the spring to reduce volunteer RR canola. Given that the world does not need Canadian wheat (Russia and Ukraine now have that market cornered making good on a 30 year old prediction finally) we have canola and peas to work with.

Comment

And in this area...Malt barley is accepted at high percentage, plus oats yields 150+ bu /acre.
                  Both are much easier on the land than ROCK hard and now WETTER stubble where wheat was. Screw wheat, till the world has LESS

Comment

Generally 1 liter equivalent r'up ,and express pro. Massive dandelion and narrow leaf Hawks beard problem over here. Anything that may be canola on canola don't spray at all and I hit with 2.5 liter in spring. Express pro excellent residual on vol canola, dandelion, and cleaver. Peas normally don't work to well over here. Usually to wet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...