• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Stage....standing still or making progress?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Stage....standing still or making progress?

We are basically done...got too tough to finish a wee bit of flax...would have pushed it if tomorrow's forecast didn't "look" good. Rain and rainbows east of us and was tracking north...feel sorry for the guys in it's path. I should never trust a forecast!

I don't want to be a "wet blanket" but it looks like things could be taking a turn for the worse. Times like this I'm glad we don't have anymore to do.

Afew smaller Producers are done here. Even some of the larger guys have made good progress and some have quite a bit to do too. If I liked what I was doing more there'd be an opportunity to do custom work but I am so ****ing happy to be done our own I'm not really looking for anymore to do. Besides, if I wanted more to do I'd buy or rent some more land....we'll see what the future holds. But for now I'm content to be basically done. Tonnes of other work to do.....

Take care, work and harvest safe.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 30, 2016, 22:23.

Good for you farma finishing is always a nice feeling! Im hoping to beat the rain, Canola is as tough now as three days ago lucky to see 3mph during primetime. Where's a frost when you need one last year I was picking 40ft swaths of canola at 6mph+. Cant wait, shelled canola are trying to grow through the swath.
    Last edited by biglentil; Sep 30, 2016, 22:49.

Comment

Last good day today or maybe Monday if we can dodge the moisture tonight. Monday night look out.
      One inch plus by next Saturday evening. Oh well, better than a hurricane.
      Flax left.

Comment

Wow the new morning forecast has S N O W!!!!! for Wednesday!

Comment

If new forecast comes true it'll make the little bit of crop left look minor compared to what it'll mean for next year.
          Fill everything right to the brim with water to go into winter.

Comment

One good day left , but things slowed dramatically yesterday with high humidity.
            Looks the same today , absolutely put the Gleaners on their ass yesterday in heavy canola.
            Looks like the humidity will stay high all day so not sure if we get er now.
            Just some canola and 80 AC of soybeans to go.

Comment

I was speaking to a friend and he was telling me that their dugout is low. They depend on the dugout for both house and spray water. The borrow pits I saw last night were basically empty. Must be the fricken fracking 100 miles away. LOL

Comment

Dugouts low? Wow no one can find their dugouts here.

Comment

75% done. Raining this morning in central Alberta. A couple of tenths so far more to come :-(. Interesting to note, Faba beans are starting to be combined, the stands looked really but I hear the yields are down from previous years. Usually out yield the peas in our area but not this year. Much nicer to combine than peas by a country mile. I have a neighbor who always straight cuts his canola. This year he grew a RR variety and desiccated it with heat. It has been sprayed for almost a month still testing over 14. Apparently the heat didn't work, anybody else have this happen?

Comment

Heat = useless

Comment

80% done and all oats to go. The fields are slopping wet except the hilltops. The combines and cart cant be over 1/2full or they Sink out of sight. If we get the 3 inches in the forcast it will be the end of this year and make next year really shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                        80% done and all oats to go. The fields are slopping wet except the hilltops. The combines and cart cant be over 1/2full or they Sink out of sight. If we get the 3 inches in the forcast it will be the end of this year and make next year really shitty.
                        Agree, if 2-3" comes now, next year is a MUD DUD already. Similar comments here. Spraying through water, soft fields, tractor /sprayer covered in MUD. Looks like 2010 all over again!
                        Ya fill all low spots to the brim and freeze.

Is AB this far behind?Click image for larger version

Name:	AB Crop Report - Sept 27, 2016.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	765107

X2 Farma..." I am so ****ing happy to be done our own I'm not really looking for anymore to do"

Comment

Standing still again here... Weather and minor breakdowns making this harvest drag on...

Flat barley fields didn't help much either, slooooooow going. Chart from Alberta seems about right from people I've spoken with. We are 50% done.

Gross day today with fog, drizzle, and 91% humidity. It will be two or three days before going again here.

Near Calgary, Ab.

Comment

Finished Wednesday night here. Helping some neighbours out now. Nice to have too much harvesting capacity. If the forecast holds true here, there won't be anymore dry grain taken off this year. No dryers in the Palliser triangle. One American site is talking for up to 5" of snow here.

Comment

Started Harvest on the 20th of August. Since then we've had 9 days (part days included) where dry grain could be binned. 9 out of 40 doesn't make for much progress. The heavier stands are worse. Neighbor has gotten "close" to dry only once this fall. High humidity and cool temperatures are making drying in the field nearly impossible, and natural air drying pretty much useless. Wheat balances out at nearly 16% moisture. Most in this immediate area are starting to seriously wonder if it will be possible to get any dry grain this year at all. Everyone's regular bins are full of tough grain waiting inline for the aeration bins which are full of tough grain that wont dry down. It's only the 1st of october, but considering how August and September went down, I fully expect winter to make an early arrival...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...