• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impossible Foods : No Way - you say?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible Foods : No Way - you say?

Hamburgers with no beef just like the real thing? Does this mean the cows get to live forever? Very interesting. Pastureland may be dime a dozen.

Lab manufactured foods have taken a giant leap forward. Won't happen quickly though

Comment

they won't need us either

Comment

Guess I'll cancel out of my meat-cutters course.

Comment

Keep in mind that these processes will still require a feedstock. The chemicals and energy inputs need to come from somewhere, they don't spontaneously appear by result of a chemical reaction. And most probably the inputs will still be organic in nature, grown on farmland. The energy is most likely going to come from the sun, as virtually all of our energy does, including fossil fuels. One of the best ways to capture sun is growing plants, still going to need farmers.

As for livestock, I think in a few more generations people will look back on the current model as a barbarous relic. Much like how we look on slavery right now. I have cows and it bothers me a lot to spend so much effort keeping them alive, knowing what their final fate is.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

As for livestock, I think in a few more generations people will look back on the current model as a barbarous relic. Much like how we look on slavery right now. .
            I can sort of see this in certain, urban, "educated", and "blessed" places. But for most of the world population, esp. in the areas that breed like rats, they could care less that the poor calves, piggies and lambs are born simply to die.

Are they able to make a crown roast of lamb? A lamb chop? Pork ribs? How about a roasting turkey? A ribeye?

No one will EVER be able to emulate the real thing. Ground up meat, perhaps, kind of.

Right now, the yuppy types WANT "SMALL" farms to provide them with fresh animals, raised in a "sustainable way", out on pasture, fed "naturally". There are a lot of these people, and they seem to be happy to pay up. They want 1950's agriculture back. Easy enough to do IMHO??? There will always be demand for quality and actual farm meat.

Comment

I'd agree freewheat, this will only increase demand for our type of product. In addition I don't think they have factored in the "frankenstein food" fear factor that will go with this "grown in a lab" replacement protein product. I think that will put off a lot of hamburger type eaters in the developed world.

Comment

Look at McDonalds shares tanking, stores shutting down. Now they are trying to reinvent themselves as healthy. People do not want pink slime patties, nuggets and fries that are who know what its made out of. No one will touch lab meat with a ten foot pole. Anyways I doubt that they would be able to do it on the cheap anyways. All the power to ya Freewheat!

Comment

I will stick to real food .
                  Meat , potatoes and veggies

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...