• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interview with farmer who sold $26.5 million Tisdale farm

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview with farmer who sold $26.5 million Tisdale farm

What might be Western Canada’s largest operating farm sale took place late last week.

At $26.5 million, producer Sam Rey has chosen to take his profits from nine years of farming and leave the business.

Here is the link to the rest of the Western Producer story:

[URL="http://www.producer.com/2016/09/tisdale-sask-farm-sells-for-26-5-million/"]http://www.producer.com/2016/09/tisdale-sask-farm-sells-for-26-5-million/[/URL]

Hutts win again eh? Lol.

Well good for him. I'm sure he didn't start with dry pockets though.

Comment

NINE years WTF is that? Profits what profits? I'd say way over borrowed to be that size in 9 years. most of us are 30-40 more than that.
      I should have quit 5 times then, I must be a real idiot to keep doing this and NEVER take PROFIT!

Comment

Maybe it was strongly recommended he sell.
        Unless he started with a large chunk of cash.
        Profit could be zip..

Comment

Swiss farmland is unbelievably expensive by European standards let alone Canadian values.
          Swiss generally know how to manage money very, very well.
          There were great opportunities in SK in the early/mid 2000s for anyone moving in from elsewhere.
          I know someone who moved there to run cows and his cowherd is now worth more than he paid for the land. Real estate appreciation offers way more opportunity than actual farming nowadays.

Comment

I remember talking to a guy that came here to farm from Ireland. When I asked him what he thought about farming here I could not believe how upbeat he was. This was many years ago and prices were poor at the time. When I asked him why it was better here his reply was; because I can buy land here and pay it off in my lifetime.

He did well for himself.

Comment

Land in saskatchewan is so cheap. in saskatchewan it's laughable to even think about it. Compare to Europe or the united states.....or alberta!!!! I talked to a trucker a few weeks ago and he told me some land around lethbridge was selling for a million dollars a quarter and yes it was bare farmland no oil just had irrigation. Shit pasture sells for more than a thousand an acre. Lol. European families come here and buy whole farms for what they sold 40 acres for back home.

Comment

Mr.Rey may have been choked with emotion at one point during the interview but the decision to sell sounds like it was based on business/money/lack of successor interest not emotion and a bond to the land. Could/would you sell homestead land or land owned by the family for decades, some approaching a century? Is it good when decisions are based on emotion rather than business. If land ownership is so bad why are there so many European tenant farmers?

Comment

What a farm. looks like Hudye sold too cheap

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                    What a farm. looks like Hudye sold too cheap
                    Since you brought up Hudye. Did his court case for selling unregistered grain into our system, ever get herd?

Comment

Good thing huts bought it not Chinese.

Comment

They will put it to good use. Give them a few years and it will be gigantic. Think the seller will go back to Switzerland? After he pays his tax, that is.

Comment

4500 - 6000 / ac here. 50 bpa wht canola.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...